B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New guy with questions -

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:02 PM
1st Gear
Default New guy with questions -

New to my 2000 A4 Quattro -

Seems to me that the FR ABS sensor is malfunctioning - it buzzes on 80% of stops. Slow stops are worse. When abs is needed, all seems well. is there a way to test the sensor or am I screwed?? Or is it likely the pump? Is there a way to turn off the ABS untill I have the coin to get it professionally fixed? (BTw, no ABS light is lit.)

Next, my r side window ha a mind of it's own. sometimes i goes up wen it should o down. . .sometimes it just changes direction. Lik it is possessed. is this common or is it really possessed?

The other day I parked in a soft snow bank that turned into ice, and pulled off the frontair dam. That also disrupted my wiper fluid line. I rigged the fluid line, so it works, but needs a real repair.

Is this going to cost real coin to fix? I also think I damaged the spash shield. Again, can this be fixed or am I looking at $$$$ to have it fixed. And what is the point of the splash shield?

Last bothersome issue is that my side view mirrors are discollorered. WTF. is there an easy fix for that?

Any advice is appriciated, and btw, are there any indipendent Audi repair shops in Chicago that are worth talkin with?

Thanks much!

UglyFrog

Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by UglyFrog
New to my 2000 A4 Quattro -

Seems to me that the FR ABS sensor is malfunctioning - it buzzes on 80% of stops. Slow stops are worse. When abs is needed, all seems well. is there a way to test the sensor or am I screwed?? Or is it likely the pump? Is there a way to turn off the ABS untill I have the coin to get it professionally fixed? (BTw, no ABS light is lit.)
Do a code scan to see what codes, if any, are stored - that'll direct you to what needs repair.

Next, my r side window ha a mind of it's own. sometimes i goes up wen it should o down. . .sometimes it just changes direction. Lik it is possessed. is this common or is it really possessed?
Probably a regulator going bad - it's known to happen on these cars. Check the classifieds for someone parting out their car - maybe you can pick one up that way without spending a fortune.

The other day I parked in a soft snow bank that turned into ice, and pulled off the frontair dam. That also disrupted my wiper fluid line. I rigged the fluid line, so it works, but needs a real repair.

Is this going to cost real coin to fix? I also think I damaged the spash shield. Again, can this be fixed or am I looking at $$$$ to have it fixed. And what is the point of the splash shield?
The air dam can be replaced relatively inexpensively (check www.shokan.com or www.ecstuning.com). Fixing the washer line - the cost will depend on what you damaged, and how it's damaged. It may be cheap, or it could be costly. It depends on how it's damaged. Ditto for the splash shield. If you just popped it off the mounts, or got a tear in it, you can likely fix it. If you broke or tore off the mounting brackets, they'll have to be replaced. The splash shield is just held on by some 1/4-turn screws, so it doesn't require any professional installation - just a jack and a flat-head screwdriver. It comes off easily (it has to, since it has to be removed for oil changes). The shield protects the engine to some extent from road debris and spraying water.

Last bothersome issue is that my side view mirrors are discollorered. WTF. is there an easy fix for that?

Any advice is appriciated, and btw, are there any indipendent Audi repair shops in Chicago that are worth talkin with?

Thanks much!
The mirrors discolor due to the defoggers - you'd have to replace the glass. Probably 98% of us have this issue to some extent.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=ImTheDevil;1029630]Do a code scan to see what codes, if any, are stored - that'll direct you to what needs repair.

So even if the brake light is not illuminating, there might be some stored data?

Probably a regulator going bad - it's known to happen on these cars. Check the classifieds for someone parting out their car - maybe you can pick one up that way without spending a fortune.

The window is a strange creature. Works fine then goes crazy. Strange.

The air dam can be replaced relatively inexpensively (check www.shokan.com or www.ecstuning.com). Fixing the washer line - the cost will depend on what you damaged, and how it's damaged. It may be cheap, or it could be costly. It depends on how it's damaged.

Looks like I just busted a coupling. I spliced it to gether with a copper pipe and it seems okay, until I get the dam replaced. The dam looks okay on a quick visual, but I have been reluctant to see how it is mounted, due to the ice and snow.

Ditto for the splash shield. If you just popped it off the mounts, or got a tear in it, you can likely fix it. If you broke or tore off the mounting brackets, they'll have to be replaced. The splash shield is just held on by some 1/4-turn screws, so it doesn't require any professional installation - just a jack and a flat-head screwdriver. It comes off easily (it has to, since it has to be removed for oil changes). The shield protects the engine to some extent from road debris and spraying water.

The shield is hanging a bit low and does look like it might have a rip in it, but It does not look like a pricey item. Hell, duct tape may fix the rip.

Snow and Ice are not my friends this year

I am not sure about the side mirrors, but they are pretty well discolored. eBay has some stick on covers, but I am afraid that my just be snake oil

Thanks for the advice!

Peace,

Jon

Last edited by UglyFrog; 01-23-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Yes, even without a light there may be something stored in there - no guarantees but it's possible. With the window, it does sound like it could be the regulator going screwy on you. There's really nothing else in there that would make sense - the wires won't reverse themselves and the likelihood of a switch going bad and acting that way is pretty remote, so I'd bet on the regulator first. Cool that you've been able to piece the dam together and as for the shiled, it's under the car and not a visible item, so if you can patch the tear, you should be fine - it's not worth spending over $100 to have a new one shipped out if you can patch it up that way. Many people don't even have them, so a tear in it (if you can keep it from hanging down) shouldn't cause any issues. With the mirror glass, that's a common problem and it'll continue to happen as the miles accumulate. You can replace the glass, but eventually it'll happen again - there's no real fix for it.