B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New to the forums. Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:49 AM
1st Gear
Default New to the forums. Need some help

Hey guys, i've got a 2000 1.8t quattro. I jus bought it recently, less than a month ago. I opened my hood tonight after getting out of work, and at an idle the engine ticks, repeatedly, never misses a beat either. Also sounds like it may be coming from more than one place too. Could this be a bad valve spring? A floated valve? Also when im driving only, meaning in gear, and i go up to about 5 or 6 grand before shifting, then shift, i hear almost a grinding noise till about 4500 rpms. I have no idea what it is or really how to pinpoint it since it only happens WHILE driving. Thats the best explanation i can give at the moment. Thanks for any help given.

Nick

Old 10-08-2008, 12:51 AM
4th Gear

The ticking you hear at idle is just valve tick. It's pretty normal on these cars. As for the grinding when accelerating thats not. How many miles are on the car? Any codes? Does it feel sluggish?

Josh

Old 10-08-2008, 01:05 AM
1st Gear

Alright that makes me feel a little better. No CEL, i dont think id get any codes if i dont have a cel on. It doesnt feel sluggish. I can hear the turbo "whine" when i accelerate hard. I was wondering if it might be a clogged oil line to the turbo and its getting too hot. But i also may be on the complete wrong track with thinking its the turbo... Has as much power as the day i got it.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:07 AM
4th Gear

Does the turbo sound louder than it used too? How many miles does it have?

Josh

Old 10-08-2008, 01:10 AM
1st Gear

Its just turned 127000 miles a few days ago. The turbo sounds about the same maybe slightly louder. But truthfully i cant really tell. Id say its about the same.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:23 AM
4th Gear

hmm.... ok... I wonder if it's something with your tranny then making the grinding noise. Does the pitch of the noise change as you rev? Does it make it when you are not in gear and rev the engine?

Josh

Old 10-08-2008, 01:28 AM
1st Gear

It does make the noise most of the time when not in gear. Tonight it didnt for some reason. You can hear it as it slows down with the rpms but not really a different tone. It sounds more near the engine than the transmission though.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:35 AM
4th Gear

Ok, well if it makes the noise while the car is not in gear that pretty much rules out the tranny. Is there any way you could get a video/sound clip or something? Is it a ticking or a grinding? Can you hear where it's coming from around the engine?

Josh

Old 10-08-2008, 01:40 AM
1st Gear

I could try to get a sound clip. I dont really have anything to get it with though. Ill have to try and get someones digital camera that takes video. I just started hearing it recently and i work second shift, 330 to 12. So by the time i get up around 12 or 1 in the afternoon everyones already doing something, and then when i get home their all passed out... So i havent really had a chance to get someone in the car to rev it while i listen. But any suggestions on what it could be without the sound clip?

Old 10-08-2008, 01:43 AM
4th Gear

Is it grinding or ticking?

Josh

Quick Reply: New to the forums. Need some help