B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New CV Joints Caused Clicking!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 03:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default New CV Joints Caused Clicking!?

Alright, so i thought there might have been an issue with my driver side cv joint so i replaced it. After replacing it i heard a click from the right side (or so i thought) when my wheels straightened from left. After replacing the right side cv joint i still have the click. Since this started would it most likely be the driver side then??- The thing is it will never click when turning a hard turn, only when coming back from a turn while going straight.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Default RE: New CV Joints Caused Clicking!?

sounds like you changed the wrong side ( full lock to the left means left side ) and you can hear it same as the other lock to right, no noise will be heard in a straight line unless a wheel bearing has failed which I doubt, we in the UK call it near side " curb/path " offside = center of the road passanger side in the USA

Old 07-09-2008, 12:09 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for your quick reply. Alright, so this time i caught the noise with my head directly centered in the car and it sounded like passenger side. It doesnt click during left or right turns only straight... This side had its wheel bearing just replaced like a year ago a little less... Also when it clicks i feel the car jerk just slightly...

Old 07-09-2008, 06:20 PM
2nd Gear

Id like to think its the driver side CV shaft but it sounds more like the right side. BTW i think this started after i did a combination of brake and gas at low speeds to try and diagnose some other front end issue, could this possibly be tranny trouble?? Man its just never ending with the front end on this car.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:39 AM
2nd Gear

Bump

Old 07-11-2008, 01:43 AM
1st Gear

got a similar thing, but no 'click' noise. It's more noticeable as aminor vibration on the passenger side front corner when I take a curve on a highway atregular highway speed. Out here 65-70 mph. L.A.- 25mph. LOL.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:13 AM
2nd Gear

haha yeah my buddy just got back from out there.. he said 85 feels fast for normal freeway speeds out there. Id think with yours doing that at high speeds only it might be loose control arms or something..

Old 07-12-2008, 12:22 PM
3rd Gear

There are two CV joints on each end of the Drive Shaft - One of them is going out - check that and get back to us. It's very easy to mistake this for the axle CV's since they sound the same and people forget about those two.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:57 PM
2nd Gear

You mean the inner and outer joint on the driveshaft right?? Cause if thats what you mean ive replaced all four of those since ive replaced both front driveshafts. (The driver was done about a 4 weeks ago, then the right started clicking, i replaced the right, and it still continues on the right..)

Old 07-12-2008, 04:33 PM
3rd Gear

Are you confusing Drive shaft (the shaft that runs the power from the trans to the rear axle) with the Axle shafts (drivers and passenger sides from trans to front wheels)??

You've replaced the drivers and passenger side axle CV's correct??

Or I guess you can forget it because the issue started after you replaced the Drivers side not the other way around - though you were just replaceing stuff thinking that was the problem

Quick Reply: New CV Joints Caused Clicking!?