B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New Clutch/Flywheel Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 02:27 PM
1st Gear
Default New Clutch/Flywheel Help Needed

I am scouting prices for parts for a new clutch and flywheel.

I was wondering if the kit comes with everything you need, or if you need additional nuts/bolts/bearings, or anything that needs to be ordered separately.

I plan on doing my own clutch. Between myself and my buddy, we have all the tools, stands, and jacks to do the job, I just dont want to screw up, as this is my first clutch replacement. I am going to order the Bentley manual today, and hope to do the install within a few weeks. I only see the manual available on Amazon for 90$, but I had heard of people getting it cheaper when I searched the forum.

I have a completely stock system currently, but plan on upgrading the turbo/intercooler, sway bars, coilovers, and chip it. So taking into consideration of the future performance i want to get, what is the best kit for the clutch/FW? and what stage? I, II, III, etc?

I wanna build this car up right, not skimping on any weak or poorly designed parts, but I also want to be reasonable in the price, because the dealership is asking for my leg to pay for a clutch/FW replacement. Any help is great, and from my browsing over the past weeks, you guys are great.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:50 PM
3rd Gear

contact www.ringer-racing.com Mike Hood will be able to point you in the right direction so the parts match your plans with the car.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Exactly. And Mike is a forum member so you're supporting one of our own. Mike is well-known here and very helpful - hell, he called me back on a Sunday night to answer a question I had on a clutch install and I hadn't even bought from him. Speaks volumes, and he's got all the knowledge on the topic you could ever need.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:23 PM
4th Gear

You can send me a PM, email or even call me if you want to talk about clutch kits. I will be gone this weekend drag racing my car at the Import Face Off event in Las Vegas this weekend, so I might not get back to you till Monday.

Email and # are on my web site that was linked up above.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

^^Definitely the man you want to talk to^^

Old 05-15-2011, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help, guys. I will give him a call on monday. You guys are awesome. Hope you are doing well at the Face Off, Mike.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:18 AM
4th Gear

Well got back late last night from the event. Car did not run well at all. For some reason it had a small misfire issue at the top of 1st and 2nd gear but ran good in 3rd/4th. Never really got it off the line all that well since I was just making sure the transmission would stay together. My 60 ft times were in the 2.00-2.9 seconds. Car ran mid to high 12's with 120-128 MPH all day long. Qualified next to last, but got lucky and #2 qualifier must have broke during qualifying because they did not show up for the 1st round. I ended up with bye's the rest of the way till the semi's but actually should have had a bye up to the finals. Seems some had some pull with the race officials to get them to get them a bye in the semi finals so they could place 2nd with a broken car.