B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New clutch - brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:45 AM
2nd Gear
Default New clutch - brake fluid

Installing new clutch; brake fluid reservoir drained out during removal.
Not sure what brake fluid was in.
Would like to use DOT3 if possible:
1) suck old out and new in at rear left, then rear right, then front left, front right, then clutch slave?
2) Can I use DOT3. If not, DOT4 at least (don't really want to use the exotic Audi stuff; never around for refills, etc.) And this is a good opportunity to get rid of whatever was in there (I know you can't mix Audi with regular stuff).

Old 08-04-2012, 10:22 AM

clutch is first to get bled. Im not sure what fluid is required but i use Motul 5.1 and its the biggest pain in the dick because its 11 a liter go as cheap as possible.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:14 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by vtraudt
Not sure what brake fluid was in.
Would like to use DOT3 if possible:
1) suck old out and new in at rear left, then rear right, then front left, front right, then clutch slave?
2) Can I use DOT3. If not, DOT4 at least (don't really want to use the exotic Audi stuff; never around for refills, etc.) And this is a good opportunity to get rid of whatever was in there (I know you can't mix Audi with regular stuff).
Audi doesn't use exotic brake fluid. The stock fluid is DOT4 and you should stick with that. Using DOT5 in a street driven car is overkill. Just buy whatever brand of DOT4 you'd like (I used Valvoline Synpower). Do not use brake fluid from a non-sealed container. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning that it absorbs water readily. The boiling point of the fluid goes down drastically as the water content increases. The water content can also lead to corrosion from within the brake system, causing the fluid to look "dirty".

In my experience, these cars prefer to be bled in the reverse of the "typical" order. Begin with the clutch. Then, move to the left front, right front, left rear, and right rear. I like to use a power bleeder for bleeding rather than pushing fluid through using the master cylinder. I have heard of people damaging the MC by pushing it past a certain point.