B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New Clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 08:16 PM
4th Gear
Default New Clutch!

Finally got around to it this week; at around 156,000 miles we finally put her up on stands and swapped out the clutch. And not a moment too soon! The one we removed was apparently the factory clutch, and had definitely seen better days - the clutch surface was smooth as a baby's ***. It probably didn't help that the prop shaft seal was leaking transmission fluid all over the clutch!

It appears that someone else had made an attempt to change it, and after DESTROYING two of the pressure plate bolts, they gave up and put everything back together. How awesome is that?

Found a few things on the way in that need sorting; my front brake lines are frayed, and the rear diff final drive output seals are shot and leaking at an alarming rate. Also, after I replaced my steering rack last fall I got the car aligned, and the guy who did the alignment did not loosen the outer clamps on the rack boots, and so when he turned the tie rods it twisted the boots around and around themselves, and they are now both ripped. Yay. Also the driver's side cam position sensor is boned; the wire connector clip is half broken off. And the PCV system is clogged with more sludge than my grandfather's arteries.

So, I ordered new brake lines, rear diff seals, and rack boots today. I'll also be ordering PCV hoses and CPS and all new front control arms ASAP. Parts already in are bushings for driver's rear control arms, which will be replaced in the next couple weeks along with the parts I ordered today.

Anyway, who wants some pictures??

Passenger side upper pinch bolt was seized, took about eight hours of hammering and pounding, penetrating oil, torching, drilling, blood, sweat, tears, cigarettes and copious and unrepeatable cursing and swearing to get it out. Also, you can see the twisted steering rack boot.
Name:  100_3403.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  61.0 KB

Exhaust band sleeves were rusted and had to be cut.

Name:  100_3404.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  108.0 KB

Finally got the transmission down.
Name:  100_3400.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  97.3 KB

Old clutch out!
Name:  100_3399.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  103.5 KB

Pilot bearing ground to oblivion, and leaking input shaft seal. Both were replaced.
Name:  100_3406.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  150.2 KB

Box of replacement parts which were installed.
Name:  100_3412.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  87.7 KB

Apparently, no one thought to take a picture of the new clutch; so just imagine a shinier, rust-free, and not smooth version of the old one you see above.

Mucho thanks to Alek, Tim, and TJ for their hard work!

Good times!

Last edited by MrFlippant; 11-13-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

Good post man! I'm getting ready to do this next week. Where did you buy your clutch from/how much?

Old 11-16-2009, 09:14 PM
2nd Gear

God, I wish I had the know how/tools/friends to do this. Mine could use a new clutch soon, and its gonna cost me a pretty pretty penny. =(

Old 11-17-2009, 03:11 AM
Administrator

Great job!

How does it feel?

Old 11-17-2009, 10:19 AM

Can you post a link or tell me how much the pcv tubes and relating items were? I'm having issues locating those since I have the same problem again after cleaning them out with the throttle body last time. New ones are going in with a catch can and suction pump.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:22 PM
4th Gear

I haven't priced PCV parts just yet, as I'm not going to buy them until my next paycheck. Feels like a whole new car - the old clutch didn't grab until I had the pedal about 3/4 of the way up off the floor, so I had adapted a driving/shifting style which worked with that. Made for some unbelievably smooth gear changes, but the slipping meant that even accelleration on a level surface was poor (even for a 12v) and I frequently needed to downshift to go up any self-respecting hill.

New clutch is nice and grippy, grabs just after I let the pedal off the floor, and car puts power to the wheels much more willingly.

I am very lucky to have a friend like Alek, he is a very experienced mechanic and specializes in German/European imports. In fact, he himself drives a 1999 A4 2.8q that he changed the clutch on just a few months ago, so apart from my car being a filthy German *****, he was quite prepared for this job. I also happen to have a friend who works at a CarQuest store who got me a little bit of a deal on the clutch, I think I paid something like $235 for it.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Site Moderator

This brings back unpleasant memories... But it's a great feeling once it's all back together and working. Nice.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

The pinch bolt can be a lot of work. You get good at taking them out though once you do a few times. Air chisel works the best from my experience. If you use a normal hammer it will mushroom the end of the bolt making it even harder to get out.