B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A new capacity measurement for the B5:)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Administrator
Default A new capacity measurement for the B5:)

Saturday I found out how many empty beer bottles a B5 A4 can carry, along with two grown adults, when my buddy Keith and I decided to take care of a long-overdue task - returning the empties from all the wrench sessions we have had since mid-July (along with Hiwords and our VW friend Bill).

Per the pictures below, it can be seen that an A4 can comfortably carry 35 12-packs of longneck bottles, plus 240-odd bagged beer bottles, with room to spare, and without even using the front seat area. I'm confident we could've fit at least 10 more 12-packs in the car even with both of us in there (although I'd have been holding a few on my lap). The total for the nickel returns was $33.30, or 666 bottles. Not bad for 7-8 weeks' work on cars in the afternoons and weekends. And believe me, if you've done a wheel bearing on a B5, you know how quickly you can go through beer. We've done a few. Oh, and when we left The Can Man we went down the road to Sam the Beer Man and restocked with the money from the bottles.

Just some fun trivia for you in case you ever wondered. Pics below.

Here's the trunk (there was some stuff of Keith's up at the front, which kept us from using the whole trunk).

Here's the view through the passenger's rear door (we didn't utilize the floor space either).

And from between the seats - more room behind the driver's head still.

Just thought I'd share helpful info for any of you guys taking your cars to college - now you have a good idea how much beer you can haul for parties.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

wow, i can honestly say that i have never seen this before. haha, thats ****** awsome man. just dont drink n drive. after my first few weeks i can honestly say that i have never drank this much in my entire like, i may make one of those trips in the near future. haha.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Heh, come on down sometime - we do have fun and we get a lot of work done on the cars. We do take it easy in the time approaching leaving though (or at least the other guys do - it's my house so I don't have to leave), and in any event, anyone drinking is always welcome to stay over. But yeah, if you're coming down for wrenching, bring your liver

Old 09-08-2008, 10:50 PM
3rd Gear

is connecticut the only state that doesnt carry Yeungling?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Site Moderator

Oh man... I just finished off the 2 cases of yuengling my dad brought back for me. You tease. What a site though, def sig pic worthy. Ohio doesnt carry it either, ghost, along with many other unfortunate states.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Heheh, I guess we've finally found one advantage to living in NY (besides the rampant ability to put quattro to the test for like, half the year). Onepoint8tee, I told ya bro - you need some Yueng shipped to you, I'm sure something can be arranged

Old 09-09-2008, 12:00 AM
5th Gear

haha, so you guys detailed keith's car and then too it for a beer return and a beer run. and trust me anmagro, if this is your first year at college, then you haven't seen drinking a lot. o and for your next party, make bacardi jello shots for the ladies, they love them

Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Oh man... I just finished off the 2 cases of yuengling my dad brought back for me. You tease. What a site though, def sig pic worthy. Ohio doesnt carry it either, ghost, along with many other unfortunate states.

Nope but Kentucky does and it's right across the river (for a few years down the line when I'm 21 and can drink of course, until then it's apple juice for me. I've heard Yuenling is a great beer)

also for something construcitve, upstate, that is a very useful piece of information you have just taught us all. But all those boxes take up a lot of dead space where you could stash more.

Last edited by CAB509; 09-09-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:14 AM

my friends accumulated like 40 beer ***** on their deck in like an 8 week stretch. beer ball = 55 beers. it was the beer ball graveyard

Old 09-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CAB509
also for something construcitve, upstate, that is a very useful piece of information you have just taught us all. But all those boxes take up a lot of dead space where you could stash more.
Yes they do, but we weren't about to just open the sunroof and start dropping individual bottles in until the car was full Too hard to try and get in and drive, and we'd have actually had to wait our turn in line at the return center.

Quick Reply: A new capacity measurement for the B5:)