B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New B5 owner, long time lurker. "suddenly dies" question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Default New B5 owner, long time lurker. "suddenly dies" question

So, I have a built SC300 NA-T as a project, and just sold my daily for something a little nicer and comfortable for the family to hop in.

Bought a car with a great service history a few weeks ago, with a clean carfax, all records, etc. 99 A4, 115K miles, 1.8 Quattro w/Tiptronic. Car is a great daily, and the wife approves.

Other than the normal ABS light issue, the car has no quirks that have shown up...except one VERY strange one.

It has done it only twice. However, both times were the exact same situation. Brakes applied in a parking lot from about 5mph, and before I can even click into neutral to back into a spot, the car dies. Nothing crazy. All power remains on, so its definitely not like the battery lost a ground or something. Car just dies. I thought it was a ground for a tail light, which it may very well be (about 10 years ago my old high-boost MR2 Turbo did something similar but while driving when the brakes were applied).

Any other ideas about possible crazy explanations?

Old 02-17-2010, 08:22 PM
3rd Gear

wow this is really weird have you seafoamed the car?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 PM

I have not, but I already purchased it with the intention of doing it this weekend. To be completely honest, while the car is very comfortable, and is very classy, I've been unimpressed with the performance. It drives fantastic, though. I feel like while it was maintained at a dealership there are a TON of misc little things that have been neglected, that are hampering the overall feel of the car.

For example, it may need the sea foam treatment, but I have documentation that the head gasket was done at Leith Audi in Raleigh, and they "removed carbon" at the same time. The documentation doesn't indicate the cause for the head gasket replacement, but it was done AT the dealer, along with a TON of other work at around 10K miles ago.

I have the distinct feeling that with a refreshed ignition system, a solid sea-foaming, and fresh fluids the car will feel better. I'd like to do some BPU type mods in the next few months - but with 115K on the stock turbo, it may need replacement also. We'll see!

Right now I'm just concerned about this wacky sudden death syndrome.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 PM
3rd Gear

WAIT A SEC I KNOW THE OWNER OF LEIGTH AUDI i can hook you up with **** im in raleigh nc

Old 02-18-2010, 06:07 AM

Nice man. Are you FRIENDS with him, or do you just sorta know him through the system (like you met him when you bought your car)? Either way, if you've got the hookup, I'm 100% ok with it!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:57 AM
4th Gear

The little 1.8T feels underpowered until you chip it, then it feels about right. Of course, and nice shiney new turbo upgrade (and software) will probably help you out there too!

BTW, Bragg, NC, as in Ft. Bragg?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Yup. The family and I live in the Haymount area in historic downtown Fayetteville. I work on Fort Bragg.

A friend has a mildly modded FWD MKIV Jetta, and that car is exponentially faster than the auto 1.8t.

BTW, I found out what's going on with the engine, and it is in no way even related to the engine. It's actually the transmission either not kicking down, or the stall sticking/staying locked. It only does it in Drive, when the tranny is cool. I'm flushing all of the driveline fluids this weekend, and hopefully that will fix it.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:17 PM
3rd Gear

i have the hook up for like a 20% discount capital ford is my neighbor so i can get discounts for like everything heres my email i can help you out Andrewbenson@nc.rr.com

Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 PM
3rd Gear

i have the hook up for like a 20% discount capital ford is my neighbor so i can get discounts for like everything heres my email i can help you out Andrewbenson@nc.rr.com