B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New B5 A4 Owner!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DewAudiA4
Congrats on the car man I'm on the market right now, waiting patiently for the right one though, I already have a car that I'm keeping until I purchase an A4 so no rush...

How do you decipher from sport package and non sport package just by looking at the vehicle, mainly wheels? I'd prefer sport package, also, did yours come with the bose system? Just curious if that was an option as well (not sure if any other stereo's even came in these cars)

30k miles is insane, if you don't mind me asking what'd you pay for it with that kind of mileage?

Anyway, nice sounding car man
Mine didn't come with the bose, just the audi symphony stereo system, it sounds pretty good though, I'm not an audiophile so I'm more than happy with it. Mine also came with the cold weather package so heated front seats, ski sack, and I think a few other things. And I think it's mainly wheels to tell it apart, you'd have to drive it to feel the suspension difference, and the interior atmospheres are options as far as I know.

Keep in mind that I'm on the west coast of Canada where we pay an inflated amount for everything, including cars, and we still have a relatively strong economy. I paid $7300, talked the price down from $9900, which was a ridiculous asking price. Compared to what else is available in my area that price is average to good ish, not the best but I'm ok with it.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Shouldn't need much more than that
Got the 5mm spacers on and it helped, but still didn't clear fully. There was a small space when the car was jacked up, but as soon as it was back down they were rubbing again. Took them off and re-selling, shouldn't be too difficult.

Also have an engine code, P0411 Secondary Air Injection System Upstream Airflow Detected. This code was on the car when I bought it, I changed out a broken vacuum hose that I thought was the only culprit from reading about the code, but it has since come back. Any ideas what else it would be? There's no noise on startup like some other owners have mentioned, and the car runs completely fine.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Administrator

The noise is likely your SAI pump taking a ****. It's a small electric air pump similar to what you'd use to blow up an air mattress. On cold starts it pumps extra air into the mani to help with emissions. You can delete the whole SAI/PCV/Evap system (lots of people do), but it will throw more codes and you could fail emissions, depending on where you live.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

The noise is likely your SAI pump taking a ****. It's a small electric air pump similar to what you'd use to blow up an air mattress. On cold starts it pumps extra air into the mani to help with emissions. You can delete the whole SAI/PCV/Evap system (lots of people do), but it will throw more codes and you could fail emissions, depending on where you live.
Yeah BC has emissions testing so that's not an option. So no noise on startup= SAI pump has failed and needs replacement? How easy is the work on replacing that? I'm somewhat DIY handy so if I can just buy the pump and swap it out I should be set. Should I do some other hoses and such at the same time?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

Actually, occasionally there is a noise on startup, but I think it is unrelated. The noise usually comes not on cold start, but after it has been running for a while. It's there for about 7 seconds, and is a gurgling type noise coming from the rear passenger side. Any ideas?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Administrator

That's your central locking pump. Not sure why it sounds like that, but it sorta sounds like water running down a drain or flushing a toilet. Mine does it too.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

That's your central locking pump. Not sure why it sounds like that, but it sorta sounds like water running down a drain or flushing a toilet. Mine does it too.
Yeah that's exactly how I'd describe it. What's the purpose of that pump?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

Got my mechanic to do a diagnosis on the SAIS today, turns out it is the SAI pump that is completely dead. Thank god he only charges me $35/hour for labour...anyway the cheapest local part we could find was from Audi itself and they charge ~$400 for a new one, has anyone found a different part online for cheaper and had success with it?

I've found a pump made by "URO Parts" which is a division of APA industries, and it's $112. I'm assuming due to the low cost that it's a piece of **** and will fail in 2 months but can anyone prove me wrong?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by T-Wall
Yeah that's exactly how I'd describe it. What's the purpose of that pump?
Your door locks are vacuum operated. That pump is what creates the vacuum that runs the locks.

Originally Posted by T-Wall
Got my mechanic to do a diagnosis on the SAIS today, turns out it is the SAI pump that is completely dead. Thank god he only charges me $35/hour for labour...anyway the cheapest local part we could find was from Audi itself and they charge ~$400 for a new one, has anyone found a different part online for cheaper and had success with it?

I've found a pump made by "URO Parts" which is a division of APA industries, and it's $112. I'm assuming due to the low cost that it's a piece of **** and will fail in 2 months but can anyone prove me wrong?
Unfortunately, that's about the price of the cheapest one I could find. Rock Auto has one for $111, and they're usually the cheapest place around. Where do you live? If the emissions aren't too strict you could get away with deleting that whole system...

Old 02-17-2012, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

Your door locks are vacuum operated. That pump is what creates the vacuum that runs the locks.

Unfortunately, that's about the price of the cheapest one I could find. Rock Auto has one for $111, and they're usually the cheapest place around. Where do you live? If the emissions aren't too strict you could get away with deleting that whole system...
I'm in BC (Canada) and emissions are strict so no chance for delete. Yeah Rock Auto was where I found that one too. Think it's a chinese POS or what?

Quick Reply: New B5 A4 Owner!!!