B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New To Audi's :-)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:48 AM
1st Gear
Cool New To Audi's :-)

Hello guys im new to the Whole Audi scene and i have a few ?'s and i hope you guys can all help me out.

ok first a lil info. here in the next couple of weeks im going to be buying a 2001 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro. now im not car stupid but i have never messed with an Audi so here come the questions, i have a couple friends who i am convinced are Audi haters! and keep trying to talk me out of buying one that they always break and cost an arm and a leg to fix and that aprently i wont be able to fix my self cuz they require special tools (now im a backyard mechanic lol worked on cars all my life and i have yet to see a car i cant work on) so a lil insite on that would be great!.

Question 2. ive been reading around on the forum a lil bit and i see the terms pre face lift and stuff like that. can i get 2 pics of them one face lifted and one not?.. so i can tell the diffrence. maybe a lil detailed info into what the acual diffrences are.

and the final question ive been digging around online for days looking for websites to get parts (performance, looks IE body kits lights, just basicly any part you can buy) any and all help would be great!

thanks in advance!

John

Old 09-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

#1 If you want reliability buy a Honda Toyota ect... These are very fun cars but do require maintence and parts usually cost a lil bit more than the avg. car. some things do require special tools but not many. Vag-Com is a must tho if you want to be doing any back yard work.

#2 face lift refers to when Audi changed the front bumper and a few other things on the car year 1999.5 YES 99.5 Audi does half years. Go here for more info on the different years! http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/a4/diff/

#3 Check out the Noobie guide on the top of the B5 forums for good sites, I like ECS and a few others.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:13 AM
4th Gear

^ everything he said... ecstuning.com and blauparts.com are my two favorite sites for parts

BTW, the noobie guide is under the FAQ thread at the very top of the B5 Section. Spend a day or 5 reading through ALL of the info and you will be amazed at what you'll learn...

Old 09-24-2010, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

I was in your shoes a month ago. $1500 in parts later, I am getting down to the little stuff, will soon have a car I can trust to give to my teenage daughter for the next 80k miles. I picked up a set of torx sockets and metric hex sockets from Harbor Freight ($25 total). No other special tools thus far (except for the cam tensioner tool, but that came pre-installed on my new cam tensioner). Just got my $20 eBay Vag-Com cable yesterday, so playing with that today.

For all I have invested, I have a much nicer and enjoyable car than what I could have bought ready to go. My daughter is already getting the "An AUDI !?!?!? You spoiled little rich girl!" comments. But she has grease under her nails to prove otherwise.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

Very true at what they said i bought my 2001 1.8T for 7k with 80kmile's on and a rebuilt engine like 6 month's ago (Giant rock got kicked into engine bay and the cover for the bottom was not on and tore up timing belt) and till this day i have had no problem with it at all

Old 09-24-2010, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by catmandu
"An AUDI !?!?!? You spoiled little rich girl!" comments. But she has grease under her nails to prove otherwise.
Nice that's the way to go lol

Old 09-24-2010, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

Wow thanks guys. ill start reading up on this some more.. and grab that vag-com from ebay.. thanks alot guys. p.s ive owned hondas/toyotas ect.. they are crap lol yea they last forever but they are **** cars. i want something ive never had before so im going audi lol. and the A4 1.8t and the S4 2000ish style i really really like. S4's are sick but just a lil out of my price range.. but thanks again guys.!!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

Also, it seems like one of your questions was overlooked -

If you're looking for body style changes, try looking into OEM S4 parts like the sideskirts and front/rear bumpers. Body kits can be more of a headache than they are worth, and most people will tell you they don't look as good as OEM Audi stuff. Also, you might be lucky and find some used S4 body parts that match your car's color instead of having to paint them

Old 09-24-2010, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

um on the vag-com is there a specfic one you would prefer? the audi im getting is a 2001 A4. all my laptops have windows 7 on them.. a lil help with the vag-com.. im confused

Old 09-24-2010, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

I may be wrong, but I don't think it matters too much. My criteria was cheapest total price from someone with a lot of good feedback shipping from the US of A with a CD of drivers included (did want to search the internet too much). The machine I installed on is XP and so far no problems, not sure about Windows 7.