B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

new to the audi world !

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:05 AM
1st Gear
Post new to the audi world !

So am looking into going into the Audi scene an would like some help tips pointers etc since i will be buying my own Audi this week or next week so far what i want for sure is Audi a4 1.8t AWD stick shift for sure looking to go fast modify. i drove my dads 01 a4 1.8t fwd auto feels good not bad at all.

am open for any tips pointers when buying one etc etc what year is ok trying to keep it on the 90s model nothing pass an 01 what ever you guys want maybe i miss something you never know.

i just want to get the feel of the forums not really want you guys to hold my hand lol so yea lets see what we make here.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Welcome to AF!

Couple big things you want to look out for:

1. Maintenance records. If the seller doesn't have receipts/invoices for the timing service, assume it wasn't done and adjust your offer accordingly. A carfax report is ok but receipts are better. Don't take "I promise it was done 5000 miles ago!" as an answer. Other common problems are wheel bearings, control arm bushings, CV joints and motor mounts. Bad CV joints will click when you turn, bad motor mounts will make shifting sloppy and clunky and leak pink goop. Take the oil filler cap off and look for sludge in the head and on the back of the cap. Same goes for the coolant reservoir. If possible, be there for a cold start. Cold starts will tell you a lot more info about the state of the motor than if the seller has time to warm the car up before you see it.

2. Previous mods/hacks. Drive the car before you buy it. See if the clutch slips. Listen for a dentist drill noise (youtube it) from the turbo and smoke from the exhaust. Look to see if all of the engine covers are still there. Look for anything that looks out of place and ask the guy about it.

3. Year. If you're looking for a B5 for go fast mods, look for a 2000-01 Quattro 1.8T 5speed. Wide band O2 and MAP sensors will make tuning easier. Quattro is a must IMO.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Administrator

And check the New Owner sticky post up top - tons of info there.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Welcome to AF!

Couple big things you want to look out for:

1. Maintenance records. If the seller doesn't have receipts/invoices for the timing service, assume it wasn't done and adjust your offer accordingly. A carfax report is ok but receipts are better. Don't take "I promise it was done 5000 miles ago!" as an answer. Other common problems are wheel bearings, control arm bushings, CV joints and motor mounts. Bad CV joints will click when you turn, bad motor mounts will make shifting sloppy and clunky and leak pink goop. Take the oil filler cap off and look for sludge in the head and on the back of the cap. Same goes for the coolant reservoir. If possible, be there for a cold start. Cold starts will tell you a lot more info about the state of the motor than if the seller has time to warm the car up before you see it.

2. Previous mods/hacks. Drive the car before you buy it. See if the clutch slips. Listen for a dentist drill noise (youtube it) from the turbo and smoke from the exhaust. Look to see if all of the engine covers are still there. Look for anything that looks out of place and ask the guy about it.

3. Year. If you're looking for a B5 for go fast mods, look for a 2000-01 Quattro 1.8T 5speed. Wide band O2 and MAP sensors will make tuning easier. Quattro is a must IMO.
OK cool that sounds about right, so the 00-01 model have a map? , my dad has a 01 a4 and it has a MAF.

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
And check the New Owner sticky post up top - tons of info there.
i did check i was reading all of the sticky before i even join the forum.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 PM
1st Gear
Smile Newbie of Audi

Hi Guys,

Good day I am Meinard. I consider myself as a sport aficionado in terms of getting more information about them. I am newbie here and looking forward to have a great time with you guys and learn more about sport and Audi..

Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Subarashī Kao
OK cool that sounds about right, so the 00-01 model have a map? , my dad has a 01 a4 and it has a MAF.
00-01 have both. The MAF sensor is inside the airbox, the MAP sensor is on the intercooler.

Originally Posted by RaceWithHabang
Hi Guys,

Good day I am Meinard. I consider myself as a sport aficionado in terms of getting more information about them. I am newbie here and looking forward to have a great time with you guys and learn more about sport and Audi..
Hi spammer!