B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New to Audi...please help!! Anyone....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 AM
1st Gear
Default New to Audi...please help!! Anyone....

So, got a 01 a4 quat. Its got about 180k on it. maintained well. New alternator bout a year/year n a half ago. Nee battery bout a week ago(more details posted below).

So, i get into my car last week and had to use my jumppack everytime I wanted to drive somewhere. Never showed any othr signs while driving. Then one day the volts droppd low as ****. And this was while I driving at night with the lights,fogs and radio on. Then the radio cut off(was thnkn bcuz the volts) startd driving and,it came back on and,all was good. So I wnt and got my battery tested and it was bad and they gave a new free replacmnt under warranty.

All was very nice these past few days, but last night I was droppng my kids off about 25min trip one way. Made it the parking lot and as I got the kids out and loaded up I heard my warning beep in my car. As I was leaving the car was literally stuvk in 4th gear or somthn, bcuz from dead stop it drove sooooo slow and as I got on the freeway it started pickn up speed, got up to 70and it was doing anythng but up around 3500-4000rpms not shifting up or down. Warning beep again snd see battery light, on,the freeway doin 70 and the car volts was damn near down n,the red. Made it home and then I,had to move it a few hours later...the car started perfectly. Strong, and very little to crank rite up. Went around the block....it was driving and shifting jus fine.

As that was it, went out today and it was fine again. The battery is fine. No,charging on my part or nothin. Ddnt thnk the alternator wit it not bein 2yrs old, and the fact That the battery obviously isnt bad. Any ideas or what the hell anyone thnks it could be . I really do need help with this one.

Also been hearing its a bad ground? I hVe no clue where they are located. And to wrap it up.....frirnd from work pulled the black battry wire while it was running n it ddnt die, so the alternator is good.then?

Thanxbto all in advance

Old 12-19-2012, 03:23 AM
Legal Moderator

sounds like a bad ground to me. check the main one on the passanger side motor mount. also, check the connections on the back of the alternator

Old 12-19-2012, 05:22 AM
1st Gear

Wow, thanks man. I got the nxt,2days off so hope to check back in with some good news. Also good to see that ppl on this forum actually respond. Not mentioning any other audi forums but had 100+ views and no replys. Thanx,again

Old 12-20-2012, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

Popped off the wires to battery-cleaned them. Unbolted the black one from the body-cleaned it. Same with wires on firewall under coolant bottle, same thing with the main wire to alternator and took off thn reattached alternator harness. Put all back together....jumped it to start and drove around. Whn started-volts were at 13-14. Kicked on lights and fogs and went for a spin. Even sitting at the stop lights w/lights on....volts ddnt drop below 12. Gna check her back out in a few. Lookin like a ground wire may have been the culprit....fingers.crossed

Old 12-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Legal Moderator

lets hope. id check the alternator next if it dont work