B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New to Audi and cars in general need alternator help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:31 PM
1st Gear
Default New to Audi and cars in general need alternator help!!

I am 17 and I just starting on working on cars, and I got my self a 2001 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro. And my voltage regulator stoped working I ordered a part but got the wrong one, so I looked up and found the one I need but it is $180! So I was wondering if anyone knows where I can either find it cheeper or find some other one that would work just as well, or if I should just get a new alternator and if I should what alternator?

Thanks for any help here is the regulator https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/voltage-regulator/06b903803b/

Old 12-06-2016, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear

I'd replace the alternator. That way you know you have all new components. If you don't have the money to buy from ECS or Audi, you can always buy one off of ebay. Just make sure you know what you're buying (what manufacturer, warrantee, is it new or rebuild, etc.) and you should be fine.

I would definitely have a pro install it for you though. our engines have the worst "access design" when it comes to the alternator.

G/L

Old 12-06-2016, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
I'd replace the alternator. That way you know you have all new components. If you don't have the money to buy from ECS or Audi, you can always buy one off of ebay. Just make sure you know what you're buying (what manufacturer, warrantee, is it new or rebuild, etc.) and you should be fine.

I would definitely have a pro install it for you though. our engines have the worst "access design" when it comes to the alternator.

G/L

Ah ok thanks you! Yeah I will just buy a new alternator do you known is Bosch makes a descent alternator? And ahh yeah I am going to have my brother in-law help me he is good with cars but hasn't done to much on German cars.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:25 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Brynner Jim
Ah ok thanks you! Yeah I will just buy a new alternator do you known is Bosch makes a descent alternator? And ahh yeah I am going to have my brother in-law help me he is good with cars but hasn't done to much on German cars.
Bosch makes quality parts (and typically comes with a warrantee). Be aware that there are two different alternators for our cars. There's a 90 amp and a 120 amp. I originally had the 90, but I replaced that one with the 120, so if you're asked which one you need, just say the 120, as they're interchangeable and the extra amps are always nice to have on hand.

If you and your brother are going to DIY, that's fine, but I'm letting you know now that you are in for one PITA job.

G/L w/everything

Old 12-08-2016, 10:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
Bosch makes quality parts (and typically comes with a warrantee). Be aware that there are two different alternators for our cars. There's a 90 amp and a 120 amp. I originally had the 90, but I replaced that one with the 120, so if you're asked which one you need, just say the 120, as they're interchangeable and the extra amps are always nice to have on hand.

If you and your brother are going to DIY, that's fine, but I'm letting you know now that you are in for one PITA job.

G/L w/everything

Thank you!

Old 12-09-2016, 07:52 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Brynner Jim
Thank you!
My pleasure. Let me know if you have any more questions. I'll do my best to help - and good luck with everything.