B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New to audi.....buying one.....help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM
1st Gear
Default New to audi.....buying one.....help!!

I'm going to buy a 2001 a4 1.8t 5 speed manual with 125k miles on it....All regular maintenance has been done: Water pump and Timing Chain at 100k, spark plugs and brakes at 120k. It just had both CV axle shafts replaced about a month ago.....anything else i should consider doing or replacing???

Old 04-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Guru

it is a timing belt

i would also check the control arms, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, vacum hoses

i have 133 on mine, it runs fine, just went bt with it... my k03 was actually still in good shape

but read the newbie guide and stickies for all the answers

Old 04-28-2010, 03:27 PM
5th Gear

front control arms are probably on their way out. rear wheel bearings should be dying usually within 20k.

question: did the seller change the timing chain or belt? they are 2 distinctly different components and the chain usually don't go bad. it's the belt that you should make sure they've changed.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, make sure you can see a receipt for the timing belt/ water pump job. That's not something you wanna get screwed on. Otherwise, go for it...post some pics of it too

Old 04-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Tech Guru

Why does everyone scroll right past the "newbie guide" sticky and fail to use the search tool and just make a new damn thread? Is there some way to make the newbie guide more noticeable?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Tech Guru

i asked along time ago, if we could make it mandatory for newbies to read them and sign off on them before they were allowed to post

if that **** would have been there when i first joined i would not have posted so of the dumb **** i did

on a side note... i would rather someone ask this useless stuff than post 10 different/same threads about 10 different/same items in 10 different/same places

i have seen many noobies posting wheel threads in 4 places, then they post brake threads seconds later in all those same places, then suspension threads

they could of made one big thread in their catagory specific section or at least in the apropriate place, v putting it in here then in the a4 section and so on, then when they can't do it for whatever reason or the other, make a thread about that, v putting it in their already made thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:14 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
i asked along time ago, if we could make it mandatory for newbies to read them and sign off on them before they were allowed to post

if that **** would have been there when i first joined i would not have posted so of the dumb **** i did

on a side note... i would rather someone ask this useless stuff than post 10 different/same threads about 10 different/same items in 10 different/same places

i have seen many noobies posting wheel threads in 4 places, then they post brake threads seconds later in all those same places, then suspension threads

they could of made one big thread in their catagory specific section or at least in the apropriate place, v putting it in here then in the a4 section and so on, then when they can't do it for whatever reason or the other, make a thread about that, v putting it in their already made thread
One thing that would help with searching for n00bies is a big F*ing search button, and going into the vbulletin control panel and adjusting the search to allow 3 characters.

I can't search for threads with ko4 in them but I can search for turbo, pain in the ***.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by hiwords
question: did the seller change the timing chain or belt? they are 2 distinctly different components and the chain usually don't go bad. it's the belt that you should make sure they've changed.
very true, its the tensioner/roller that usually goes bad on the chain. But it sounds like he meant the belt.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

I'm going to test drive the car sunday.....is there a way i can check if the control arms and wheel bearings need to be changed?? im planing on changing the ignition coils too..

Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Tech Slut

wheel bearings will hum when turning. control arms can be checked visually, or if they are really bad you will hear them on bumps. Plus there will be play in them when you wobble the wheel with your hands. Tierods will be the same except only from side to side.

Quick Reply: New to audi.....buying one.....help!!