B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New to 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

Ok my radiator came in tonight, it took me only 2 hours to put the A4 back together and get it running. I did nothing special to bleed the system and the heat is good and strong. The only thing I cannot due is check the transmission fluid. I have to say the whole process went pretty smoothly nothing broke. I did take one extra percaution and put gasket maker on the trans cooler lines and the censor. One other thing I found my fog light wiring.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

Update 161,4k miles and all is good. There are no more leaks any where to be found. The Girl runs great, my next plan is to make or find and modify cup holders for the rear arm rest.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:04 AM
1st Gear

This cold weather is getting to me, heated seats make it a little better. So the new radiator is working great and the heater is hotter. Although I have sprung another leak this time one of the hoses going to the heater core. Today it's going into the dealer for a transmission service and a new pan. Keep my fingers crossed that they don't f-anything else up. I would love to do some modifications and touch up work to her but for right now keeping her road ready is most inprotant$$$$$$$. I am still getting a 16806 code then also I found 17965 code. Wondering if the 17965 was due to me removing the gas cap while she was still running. Checked all the hoses for the intake that could be checked with a screwdriver. A4 keeps me busy and on my toes, tinkering on her is quite fun. I may purchase a more expensive VAG-COM after the first of the year SOOOOO handy. Future tools required as goes, radio removal, o2 censor socket, plastic removal tool, lean to plastic weld. Everyone hope your holidays are safe and fun.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

With the trans service done, there is a noteicable smoother shifting. I have the hose on order will be replacing during Christmas break. Found Pentisol coolant for $15.00 for 1.5 liters. With 162k on the clock almost time for an oil change. I will be doing it earilier than the norm for the first year just to help keep her clean. Found Bosch o2 censors for half the price than most auto parts dealers want so they just went on my wish list. Looks like the dealer did a good job there are no trans leaks he also put in a new filter.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

This cold weather is screwing with my A4, this morning I thought the car was over heating. The gauge started to climb as I was going 70mph on the interstate. Had to slow down due to traffic and the gauge slowly went down but not to normal state. Got to work and shut it down for 30min restarted let idle for 15min and all is good. Removed the coolant res cap and some air came out, could have been my problem. Went home the same way and the temp gauge stayed in the middle where it always resides.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

Ok I did it finely changed my heater core hose out, it took 2 hours. Now the slow process of bleading out the system. Engine light came on today, got the normal 1600 code that says blah blah blah about o2 blow thresh hold bank one. Also got a 1700 code that some one said a leak in the air intake system, not sure where to go with that. As for the o2 looks like I am going to have to start replacing them(ouch). With 162 on the clock not to much to complain about.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

With just over 163k this negative numbers in the temp the A4 starts ok. The heater blower is making noise again looks like I will have to spray it again. There is a squeeling sound in the front end eather bearings or breaks. It could use a new set of pads and rotters in the front end. Have not put snow tires on this year and seems to be doing ok, but we have not had any major snow storms that I really need to go out in. So when does the engine oil service message come on?.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

Last week(0107)The A4 developed a rear break line leak. Replaced the caliper on the passengers side. Still trying to figure out what the plastic scraping sound is in the front going over large bumps?????????. Any day now will have to do the second oil change since bought the car. I check my oil every weekend, it uses but all so little no bother.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

Oh ya the tiguan developed a light trouble that ended up new fuse panel. VW has not issued a recall for this trouble SO WRONG.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

About two weeks ago A4 developed a break leak in the rear passenger side. Had to replace the caliper so far this is the most expensive fix. It felt like spring yesturday so out I went washed cars and clayed the VW. Today winter is back and on very strong.