B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New to 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by greenmtrider
so i am confused with the engine at running temp the oil is half way up the dip stick. with the engine that has sat for an hour the oil level shows full or just over. how should i be checking it?.
You can check the oil hot or cold and it should be in the cross hash mark area of the dip stick. No more and no less. DO NOT over fill or you will cause damage. I keep mine about mid-way on the cross hash marks.

Front wheel play can be other things than a wheel bearing. Does the thing make noises when driving? Might just be a bad tie rod end.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:25 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Huskerbob, did a 500 mile this weekend and it stayed just under full hash marks. I will pull my front wheel tonight and have a closer look to see what is going on. The front tire does not make a howling or sqweeling noise like a bad bearing does.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

You car is going through a quart of oil every week or two and you are worried about a failing tie rod, control arm, or wheel bearing? Not that those aren't important.. I just think if your engine is drinking your oil you should be more concerned with that.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kamil`
You car is going through a quart of oil every week or two and you are worried about a failing tie rod, control arm, or wheel bearing? Not that those aren't important.. I just think if your engine is drinking your oil you should be more concerned with that.
He's multi-tasking Kamil' I agree, unless the front wheel is in danger of falling off, try to figure out that oil consumption problem. Seems high to me. The oil that is. not the mechanic.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

I figured out the oil consumption problem, most of it was paranoia and not giving the oil enough time to very slowly drain back to the oil pan. I have now 600 mile from the last time I checked it, the oil level is still the same. No smoke although I did use a quarter of a quart of lucas oil. I am going to do an oil change next week and plan on running SEA FOAM through the morning of. Thanks every one for your help, I do feel a little stupid because I do know better.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

Also sorry If I sounded confusing just went back and read my own posts. At this point It looks like a quarter of a court of oil every 2k miles if not more miles. It's not fowling plugs the tips of my exhaust are not any more black than usual. Drove to Main this weekend without any problem, love driving the AUDI.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:31 PM
1st Gear

I figured out the oil consumption problem, most of it was paranoia and not giving the oil enough time to very slowly drain back to the oil pan. I have now 600 mile from the last time I checked it, the oil level is still the same. No smoke although I did use a quarter of a quart of lucas oil. I am going to do an oil change next week and plan on running SEA FOAM through the morning of. Thanks every one for your help, I do feel a little stupid because I do know better.
Put about 100 miles on your SeaFoam in the oil and throw some in the gas tank as well. You got the oil comsumption figured out okay! Give it a chance to drain back down and then make sure to wipe the dip stick off and re-check. Don't overfill. Better to err on the low side of the mark with our little turbo engines.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

Under stood thanks. Strange how I forget these simple thing restoring motorcycle as a teenager and in my early 20's it has been a while since I turned a wrench on a vehicle. I convinced the wife to let me purchase the car for the GAS SAVINGS instead drive the F150 back and forth to work. Little does she know I baught it to tinker with. So there is much leaning I must do on the Audi's. The wifes uncle is one who has owned many European cars from Maserati to Audi and Volvo and many other makers in between. So there was a little help on his part on witch car manufacture I should purchase. Always loved the looks and feel of driving an Audi.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:32 PM
2nd Gear

Under stood thanks. Strange how I forget these simple thing restoring motorcycle as a teenager and in my early 20's it has been a while since I turned a wrench on a vehicle. I convinced the wife to let me purchase the car for the GAS SAVINGS instead drive the F150 back and forth to work. Little does she know I baught it to tinker with. So there is much leaning I must do on the Audi's. The wifes uncle is one who has owned many European cars from Maserati to Audi and Volvo and many other makers in between. So there was a little help on his part on witch car manufacture I should purchase. Always loved the looks and feel of driving an Audi.

Post pictures of your A4 B5 or you don't have one.

You could be some weird person that like to pretend to have a Audi A4 b5, so we need proof in the form of a few pictures.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:38 PM
1st Gear

Ok will take some tonight and post, or ry to post I should say.