B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New to 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Sponsor

Below are our kits that work with AEB engines. Any one of the kits in the link will work for your vehicle.

Click HERE to order or for more information

Let me know if you have any other questions

Jason

Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by greenmtrider
Foud it it AEB engine, so what tooth belt do I need?. Also It seems like I am going through a court of oil every two weeks. Its not leaking or smokeing, it's not in my air filter, where els should I look?. Thanks for your asistance.
Wow! a quart of oil every 2 weeks is excessive. It is going someplace so if it's not burning it's leaking. Pull your intercooler pipes and see if there is oil in them. Are you sure it's not smoking? Rings maybe? Is there a puddle on your underpan or the ground?

I don't think we count belt teeth. Just order the one specified for your engine. See ECS above.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

I don't think it's every two weeks, I checked it last nigh and it took 1/3rd of a quart so now it shows full on dip stick. Wrote down the mileage and will keep an eye on it. If the car was smokeing you would think the spark pluggs would be black and thier not???????. I pulled the hose going into the throttle body and no oil very clean. I degreased the motor last Sunday so I could check for leaks, need to put on a lift and give it a once good eyeing. I will pull the new pluggs this weekend to see if those are black. I will also have someone follow me to see if there is black stuff comming out. Thanks Jason will place and order on Saturday due to it's not a emegency that I need a belt just wanted one on hand.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by greenmtrider
I don't think it's every two weeks, I checked it last nigh and it took 1/3rd of a quart so now it shows full on dip stick. Wrote down the mileage and will keep an eye on it. If the car was smokeing you would think the spark pluggs would be black and thier not???????. I pulled the hose going into the throttle body and no oil very clean. I degreased the motor last Sunday so I could check for leaks, need to put on a lift and give it a once good eyeing. I will pull the new pluggs this weekend to see if those are black. I will also have someone follow me to see if there is black stuff comming out. Thanks Jason will place and order on Saturday due to it's not a emegency that I need a belt just wanted one on hand.
Look for blue smoke at start up and if you have someone follow have them pay attention. Black would be rich fuel, white is water or oil hitting the exhaust. Good luck with you timing belt and do all the other rotating parts, t-stat and water pump as well. I would also do the accessory belts and tensioners at the front of the engine. Patience helps.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:50 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Huskerbob will take your advice.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

I didn't read the entire post but I would just like to mention that the oil cooler o-ring fails sometimes and it lets oil drain slowly.

I had this problem with my 2.8 and it cost me about a quart of oil per day.

Last edited by Kamil`; 09-22-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:22 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Kamil, will check those orings.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

so i am confused with the engine at running temp the oil is half way up the dip stick. with the engine that has sat for an hour the oil level shows full or just over. how should i be checking it?.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

Ok new trouble I have a littile play in the front drivers side wheel. Did some research sounds like the wheel bearing.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

First of be sure you don't have too much oil in your engine. I think 6 1/2 quarts is max for our engines.

You say you are going through a lot of oil...

Maybe your timing is off.. which damaged or can damage your internals. Sometimes the valve stem seals fail.

You are definitely going to need to replace your tensioner gaskets, half moon seal (usually included with the tensioner gasket), valve cover gasket
and I would even go as far as taking off the tranny oil pan and replacing the internal filter, getting new fluid, and replacing the gasket.

You can replace the fuel filter, those aren't too expensive. Take out your spark plugs and check their condition. Make sure you don't have any oil in those areas.

Changing the gear fluid in the differentials would be a good idea also.

Last edited by Kamil`; 09-22-2013 at 10:34 PM.