B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New to 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:17 AM
1st Gear

And they claim Mopar CCC will not hydrolock your engine. Seafoam does not give you such a guarantee but the chances of that happening are not high anyway.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Sponsor

Unfortunately the 1.8T is a heavy AWD vehicle which lacks power and torque. Because of this it feels very slow, especially off the line.

Might be a good idea to do a boost leak test to make sure you aren't looking any boost thus reducing the power out put even more.

Jason

Old 09-12-2013, 05:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Unfortunately the 1.8T is a heavy AWD vehicle which lacks power and torque. Because of this it feels very slow, especially off the line.

Might be a good idea to do a boost leak test to make sure you aren't looking any boost thus reducing the power out put even more.

Jason
My 1.8 Avant is pretty snappy. Just don't be afraid of the skinny pedal. Like the song says "you gotta stand on it"

Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 AM
1st Gear

thanks every one, when i do put my foot through the floor in tiptronic mode with AC off it goes good. Will do a leak test all the plumbing looks good.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:27 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by greenmtrider
thanks every one, when i do put my foot through the floor in tiptronic mode with AC off it goes good. Will do a leak test all the plumbing looks good.
Just make sure your oil temp is up before you mash it and watch your redline in tip mode. Have fun.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

Here is a great link for you. Help me out tons!

B5 A4 New Member Guide/FAQ! Answers to the most commonly asked questions!!

Common things to do if you don't know history of the vehicle are:

Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs
Air Filter
Timing Belt
Transmission Fluid Change
Oil Change
Coolant Flush
Brake Fluid Drain and Fill
etc.

Pretty common stuff.

I hear APR has a great chip, so I would look there. $400 for next day shipping both ways through ECStuning.com

A common great mod to alleviate future expenses is do an ICM delete. It upgrades the coil to the updated FSI coils and you can get that through 034motorsports.com. A great fix for the oil sludge issue is do a BG engine flush. Fixed my problem. A great oil that I've switched to has been Royal Purple HPS 5W-30, but everyone has their preferences lol.

Enjoy the car! You will love it as long as you take care of it and be meticulous. These guys around here are great and have saved me a bunch of time and money!

Congrats and cheers!

Old 09-13-2013, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

Just a thanks everyone for your input love it all. Just changed the spark plugs, check for air leaks, timming belt is new removed the cover took a little peak. Have been doing alot of reading today about cars with turbo's, what people are saying is worm up and cool down are critical for longevity, and a good syn oil. This car is in good hands love driving it. I am takeing it to Rode Island next month and visiting Boston with it cannot wait.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by greenmtrider
Just a thanks everyone for your input love it all. Just changed the spark plugs, check for air leaks, timming belt is new removed the cover took a little peak. Have been doing alot of reading today about cars with turbo's, what people are saying is worm up and cool down are critical for longevity, and a good syn oil. This car is in good hands love driving it. I am takeing it to Rode Island next month and visiting Boston with it cannot wait.
You can install a turbo timer for when you get on it. Basically a turbo timer is great for when you run your car hard you can take your key out and it will keep running for an extended period of time depending on how hard you ran it. Oil sludge comes from when you run your car hard and get your turbo very hot and then shut your engine off. The oil sits in the turbo and "cooks" it and breaks the oil down and causes it to clump basically. SO if you ever are hard on it make sure you let it circulate and cool for a couple minutes.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:40 AM
1st Gear

If I had to replace a coil just to get me through winter what one's would you recomend?.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

Also I forgot to ask, how do I know wich tooth timing belt to purchase?. They are showing two.