B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Needing advice (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 06:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Needing advice (HELP)

I need some help. The car is a 2000 A4 Quattro 1.8 AWT 5 speed. Recently I was driving home, shifted from 2nd to 3rd, normal RPMs (3K or so) and the car died. When I let out on the clutch the car rolls with the cylinders, so I assume its not locked up and still has compression. It has oil, no metal showing from the dip stick anyways...
When you turn the key on, you hear the fuel pump kick on and the normal beeps from the dash. When you try to start it the starter whines, It sounds as if the starter drive is not engaging. Which leads me to believe its a starter. However, if that were the case, why would the car have died while driving? Can anyone point me to something that would affect the ignition system in this way? I relay or sensor? The starter whines but the engine does not turn over at all. I have not checked to see if its getting spark or not. I will do so tonight. Any and all help would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Also, the engine is all stock, no mods are done to the vehicle other than suspension and paint. One more thing. When I bought the car, the alarm module had been replaced, and not programed to the car. So you cannot lock the doors. but the car has always started, and ran just fine. I'm not sure if that is an important detail but I thought I would mention it.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:18 AM
2nd Gear

I think the starter is a separate issue. If I were you, I'd be considering the alarm, fuel, air and spark first......then replace the starter

Old 07-04-2013, 08:37 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like the solenoid on the starter is shot. But like A4TurboGuy, that's got nothing to do with why the car stopped for no reason. On the other hand, it's hard to disagnose your bigger problem when you have no chance of trying to start the car. I think you need a healty starter before you can do much of anything with that.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

I agree, the only connection could be the ignition system if something connects the two. I cannot crank the engine to test for spark. But it does have fuel. I'm going to pull the starter, test it, make sure the flywheel isn't broken. And go from there.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Administrator

You need to get ahold of a scan tool and see if you have any codes from the shutdown.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

Enlighten me some if you would. You say get a scan tool? Like an obd2 tool or VAG-COM. I have the VAG cable. What are my options?
Thank you

Old 07-17-2013, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

get vcds lite off of the ross-tech website and then scan your car for codes with a laptop and hopefully that will shed some light on your problem

Old 07-19-2013, 01:13 AM
1st Gear

my moneys on valve damage, or fuel delivery, when was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Old 07-31-2013, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

Timing tensioner failed, scrapped 11 teeth off the timing belt. Ruined 18 of the 20 valves. Good news, is its getting new rod and main bearings, rings, valves, springs, timing set, water pump, thermostat, and belts. Should be good to go after a week or so worth of work. Fuel filter has been changed as of now...
Thanks everyone for the advice. I need to download the set up from the Ross tech site. Luckily had use of a friends scanner, that did things I never imagined a computer could to a car. Cheers!!

Old 07-31-2013, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

Honestly, I would just buy a used motor and put it in there. For the money you would spend on pistons, valves, rods and everything else to do the job the right way, your better of putting another motor in there. I think it would be cheaper.

Just my 1 and a half cents.

Quick Reply: Needing advice (HELP)