B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

need some major help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 03:34 PM
1st Gear
Default need some major help

first off no im not a noob i just dont have time to go searching and cant remember my old password since i am at work but i need some ideas as to whats wrong with my car. I have a 1999 audi a4 2.8 quattro. it has been sputtering like crazy tried all the cheap fixes thus far.

i have two engine codes that have fired
p1300: misfire do to low fuel level
p1250: someother low fuel related misfire

I have cleaned my maf, changed fuel filter.

Other problems known with the car is my gas gauge has not registered a fuel level for about two years ocaisionally bouncing up and down. otherwise i have been told a couple possiblities. Ive been told to change my coil packs, or fuel sending unit, or the fuel sending unit and the gas pump.

any idea as to which one it could be or if theres any other ideas, i gotta also order the parts asap for whatever i try next so any suggestions as to where to go is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

o and coolant sensor is broken to otherwise car is fine as far as i know

Old 11-14-2008, 06:41 PM
3rd Gear

Well it could be normal misfires if its happening when you do actually have fuel. Common reasons for misfires are: plug wires, spark plugs, and leaky valve cover gaskets. All easy fixes but the wires are expensive. Check if there is oil in the spark plug holes take a plug out look it over for wear and if you have original wires replace them. Its good to do plugs and wires at the same time too. I am just thinking its setting the codes that way due to a bad sending unit. I don't think there very hard to replace so I would look into fixing that too. I believe you can either take out or fold down the back seat and theres an access panel to get to it. I just can't remember if its under the seat or the carpet in the trunk. http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...productID=2292 theres your sending unit not a bad price to fix the fuel gauge. Temp sensor is cheap too http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...productID=2832. http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...oductID=240440 and theres your plug wires. And last but not least the valve cover gaskets you need 2 of these http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...productID=1686 I would start with fixing your known problems so as not to replace something you dont need to. It is nearly impossible to diagnose w/ existing problems sometimes.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

ok thanks alot ill fix the sending unit and sensor then move on from there.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

The fuel sending unit is in the tank. Under the carpet in the trunk, behind the passenger side seatback, is an access panel. Go to www.audidiy.com or www.audiworld.com and you'll find a tech article that will walk you through the repair of the existing unit (usually it's a broken wire on the sender that causes the erratic gauge operation). It's a quick and painless fix. Mine was easier than many because Hiwords was there. That helped for three reasons. One, he's done it before. Two, he's small and fits in the trunk with room to stretch out. Three (as he'll tell you is the main reason), he's Asian.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:37 PM
5th Gear

the ECT sometimes causes random weird problems like misfiring. change it out first and see what happens. it's a very cheap part from autozone. asians gotta represent