B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need some info for rear deck speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear
Question Need some info for rear deck speakers

Can anyone direct me to a good DIY, preferably with pics, of how to get to the rear deck speakers? Those, as well as the front passenger door speaker, are rattling off with the familiar and previously posted about problem of loose dust caps and I'm too poor to pay someone to take everything apart to slather some glue in there. I already have a DIY for the front cuz I asked about this problem ages ago but never got around to doing it, but now I'm noticing the same coming from the rear and sometime this month, I'll finally have time to do something about it but I have no clue where to start with the rear deck.

TIA,
-Justin

Old 11-10-2008, 07:23 AM
1st Gear

First you could check from inside the boot as you can see the speaker magnets from there, so see if you can do anyhing there first as the parcel shelf is a bit awkward!

But I had the shelf out and i lifted it up from the back seats, it just clips in, then you should be able to see the top of the speakers and the mounts.

Justin.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Yep, you have to remove the deck to get them - the mounting baskets for them are part of the framework beneath the speakers that you can see from the trunk.

Go in the trunk and unplug the rear center brakelight. Then remove the lower rear seat cushion - just pull up hard from the front edge and it comes right off. Lower the rear backrests and then remove the rear sidebolsters (between backrests and doors - the fixed in place cushion). Start with the bottom - pull down so you can slide the "loop" on the cushion down and off its mounting tab. Then, about 3/4 of the way up, along the inside edge, there's a screw/bolt to remove. Then pivot the bottom of the cushion forward so you can unhook the top of the cushion. With those out, lift the leading edge of the parcel shelf and you can remove it just by pulling forward once the front edge is unsnapped from its retainers.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

it doesnt have any pics, but i ran across it browsing...

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec58.shtml

Last edited by superdooperme; 11-10-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:44 PM
3rd Gear

What radio do you have? Is it a Bose symphony....or after market? If so what speakers are you planing on using?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:53 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks all, useful inputs.

Sounds awkward indeed, I may have to push this off longer if its that big of a hassle to get to.

Far as I know, its the bose symphony, I've never replaced the speakers but whoever had it before me could have, I know they had it wired for a sub and amp or two so they could have put aftermarkets in. Me, I dont have the money for new aftermarkets so I was just planning on getting in there and gluing them damn dustcaps back on so it'll stop rattling but if its this big of a problem to get at, I may as well throw in some aftermarkets while I have the whole thing torn apart haha

Old 11-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Don't bother putting it off. As with most interior work on these cars, the description is worse than the job. It will take you less than 15 minutes to have your speakers out and in your hands. Hell, take a look in my photo album at the pic of my interior torn apart when I was redoing my interior trim. That's only a 30 minute job. These cars' interiors come apart very easily when you want to take them apart, and will stay together with no squeaks or rattles forever if you don't.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 PM
2nd Gear

Hmm, well in that case, hopefully the weather will be nice this weekend