B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:12 PM
1st Gear
Default need some help

Hi everybody, i really wanna do some upgrades to my Audi a4 1999 1.8t but problems keep happening so far the only thing i did was put on 17" wheels. I wanna put on hagus mirrors and rs4 bumper eurogearusa.com ,carbonio intake and exhaustbut first i got to fix some more problems. So I made list of what was changed on my vehicle but i have threemore problems. First one is vibrations throughout the whole car only when idle, while driving no vibrations and second is when driving up hill it has no power andwhen I pass the hill i doesnt move past 20mph no matter how much gasI give and after I let is sit for 5-10 seconds it gets the power back and third problem is driver side window it does not go up when i open it and try to close it it goes up some and than comes back down.
timing belt, v belt, ribbed belt, water pump - 70k service just in case so it dont get more problems
control arms - creacking noise when accelerating and breaking
gas cap - was broke
alternator - failed at 75K
spark plugs, battery, brake pads - worn or ready to be replaced
had fuel system cleaned -just for a sake
brake oil changed
fixed squeking steering wheel
changed cv boots
driver seat changed ripped by previous owner
temp sensor - was not working
dual temp sensor - stalling when starting the car
MAF - eratic idle when stopping and going in reverse
fuel filter - was time to change
air filter - changed
cabin air filter - changed
changing oil every three months - synthetic, premium fuel
new cd changer old one died

[IMG]local://upfiles/41332/2117072FD25A4E5992AE974AB1809679.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator
Default RE: need some help

Let me go through the list of things you said and offer some suggestions in place:

"Hi everybody, i really wanna do some upgrades to my Audi a4 1999 1.8t but problems keep happening so far the only thing i did was put on 17" wheels. I wanna put on hagus mirrors and rs4 bumper eurogearusa.com ,carbonio intake and exhaustbut first i got to fix some more problems."

Absolutely - fix what's wrong and get it mechanically sound before playing around with it. I'd suggest though, that you don't waste your money on the Carbonio intake - many of those who have it have posted that it wasn't worth the money (and it's big bucks for a part that doesn't really make any power on our cars). Get an eBay intake or do the airbox mod in the DIY section - you'll get as much power from either of those at a fraction of the cost. Also, the car can look unbalanced with the RS4 bumper and not the rest of the kit to go with it, so keep that in mind too.

"So I made list of what was changed on my vehicle but i have threemore problems. First one is vibrations throughout the whole car only when idle, while driving no vibrations"

Possible problem with snub or engine mounts, but I'm not sure - hopefully others will contribute more information here.

"second is when driving up hill it has no power andwhen I pass the hill i doesnt move past 20mph no matter how much gasI give and after I let is sit for 5-10 seconds it gets the power back"

Get the car scanned for fault codes (autozone will do it for free), and post any codes up here to help out the diagnosis.

"third problem is driver side window it does not go up when i open it and try to close it it goes up some and than comes back down."

Could be the regulator, or maybe just crap jammed in the track.

I assume the stuff listed below is what you are going to do to the car. Quite a list but it's comprehensive.

timing belt, v belt, ribbed belt, water pump - 70k service just in case so it dont get more problems (never a bad idea on a 1.8T - I'd throw in the advice to do the full seafoam treatment as well)
control arms - creacking noise when accelerating and breaking
(A4s are known for this problem - better to buy the full set of them and replace them as you need to - it costs less than buying them individually)
gas cap - was broke
alternator - failed at 75K
spark plugs, battery, brake pads - worn or ready to be replaced
(look into aftermarket brake pads, and maybe the A8 upgrade if you have the cash for it - it's well worth it)
had fuel system cleaned -just for a sake
(do seafoam anyway - it's worth the few dollars)
brake oil changed
fixed squeking steering wheel
changed cv boots
driver seat changed ripped by previous owner
(check classifieds for someone parting out a car or have it fixed by an upholstery shop)
temp sensor - was not working
(relatively easy fix and the part is only about $20)
dual temp sensor - stalling when starting the car
MAF - eratic idle when stopping and going in reverse
fuel filter - was time to change
(pain in the ***)
air filter - changed
cabin air filter - changed
changing oil every three months - synthetic, premium fuel

new cd changer old one died (consider taking it out and using the CD changer port on the head unit for an iPod interface)

Old 04-14-2008, 09:55 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: need some help

thank you for the fast reply and for suggestions actually the stuff I listed is what i already did to the car and I only have these three problems left. The car wasin really bad shape when i got it - this mf that drove it did not care about it, but i do i love to drive it. any other sugestions are welcome thanks..