B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need some advise for 99 A4 1.8t Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

The emergency brake is not working actually, one of the two cables is shot and rusted so Im just not using it now.
I bet the ABS module need to be replaced, besides the code and the 3 beeps when turning the key, I also get 3 beeps if I take a turn fast. I think I'm gonna have it rebuilt but I don't have a garage and can't work on the car with snow every other day and temperatures in the teens...

I'm gonna try recharging the battery (again, not easy to do if it keeps raining and snowing) and see how the car starts with a fully charged battery and post back.

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by MetalMan
I do believe that link is wrong, since he will need a B5 oxygen sensor:
OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

And I believe it would be this one specifically:
Audi B5 A4 Quattro 1.8T > Maintenance > Engine > Oxygen Sensor > ES#1563 Oxygen Sensor - 15160

Replacing the primary O2 sensor is definitely a good start - but if that doesn't fix it, the problem could potentially be a clogged catalytic converter.
Thanks for the correction. Looks like I was under the wrong vehicle and forgot to log out.

Originally Posted by enduin
The emergency brake now is working, the cable was replaced and the mechanic told me the calipers are worn out so they need to be replaced. They asked me $400 for the parts plus work, and I wanted to know if it's reasonable.

Is the o2 sensor something that is pretty easy to do and there are tutorials (I'm pretty handy but have zero experience working on cars) or I definitely have to get it done by a mechanic? And is it expensive?
o2 sensors are pretty easy to change, removing the air box assembly gives you plenty of room to work. use an open ended wrench or a o2 sensor specific socket to remove them. Then just unhook the wiring connection.

Jason

Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

The problem is that the way the test pipe was installed the o2 sensors are pushed against the engine block or whatever in a way that its impossible to unscrew them without removing the test pipe. And that's something I'm quite nervous about cause Im not clear how I can reach and use a wrench on those bolts...

Old 02-05-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by enduin
The problem is that the way the test pipe was installed the o2 sensors are pushed against the engine block or whatever in a way that its impossible to unscrew them without removing the test pipe. And that's something I'm quite nervous about cause Im not clear how I can reach and use a wrench on those bolts...
With the weather outside, I don't think you'll be able to get the cat out. Especially since you'll need to get under the car to get to bolts on the back of the cat. This will kind of give you an idea of what I'm talking about (just skip down to the part about taking the cat out.) : :: a4mods.com :: - The Premiere Audi A4 Modification Guide and Pictures Library