B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

In need of a new tranny or a rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:40 AM
1st Gear
Default In need of a new tranny or a rebuild

Ok everyone, my tranny has had it. When I drive it, fluid comes out like crazy and when it shifts from 3rd to 4th, either in tip or full auto, the screen turns red, throttle response cuts out, and pisses me off. I drove it home as slow asI could keeping it in 3rd and parked it. My uncle came over the next day and we turned it on and fluid stated flowing and when it was put in gear and moved forward, the car stated to smoke from the middle. I imagine that it is the tranny, but don't know for sure. The fluid seems red in color, it's kinda hard to tell and asfault, and looks to be coming from the area that the tranny meets the engine, but I guess it could be the tranfercase. I don't really know much about AWD cars. It wouldn't suprise me if it was both though, the car has 265,000 miles. I would prefer not to give up on her as she just gota new turbo, timing belt, water pump, and full custom exhaust in the last 3 months. Any help would be apreciated. I am plannig to take it to Catrubus Audi of Layton on Manday and let them take a look at it. I have a OBDII scanner and there are no codes that I could read, but I think that the dealer has tools that give them acsess to more information then I.

PS before someone says it, it know it was stupid to drive the car home after having that kind of issue, but it was snowing really hard, 8 inches in 2 hours, and I really didn't want to get stuck outside of town.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:37 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: In need of a new tranny or a rebuild

After 20 views and no replies, either no ones has any help or cares, but I'll post a updated if anyone cares. The dealership has the car, they said that they would know by Wednessday what was going on with it. It doesn't look promising though. Anyone know where I can get a tranny cheaper than at the dealer? I know level 10 makes a bullet proof tranny, but as far as I can tell it's ony the valve body that gets worked on and I think this goes farther than that. The guys at the dealership want 8400 plus 13 hours of labor at 175/hr for the removal and reinstall of a new (he said new, I think rebuilt) tranny. That is more than the car is worth.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:42 AM

umm...buy a manual tranny

car-parts.com
lkqonline.com

sorry to hear about your fu,ked up situation, hopefully everything will work out okay

it is not worth it to pay more than maybe 3k for a new tranny

do not have your's rebuilt

we know nothing about your car

make, model, year, quattro,

???

hope everything works out ikay for you

just buy a new one for 1-2k, make sure it has low miles

Old 03-11-2008, 07:49 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: qUaTtRoA4

umm...buy a manual tranny

car-parts.com
lkqonline.com

sorry to hear about your fu,ked up situation, hopefully everything will work out okay

it is not worth it to pay more than maybe 3k for a new tranny

do not have your's rebuilt

we know nothing about your car

make, model, year, quattro,

???

hope everything works out ikay for you

just buy a new one for 1-2k, make sure it has low miles

I am sorry that I didn't include this information before. It was a little late when I typed it and i typed it in my mind, but aparently it didn't make it into the message. The car is a 2000 A4 1.8T Quattro Tiptronic. The car currently has 265,XXX on it.TheTurbo, Timing Belt, and Water pump were replaced with new units at 230,250. The 3" turbo-back exhaust was added at 260,125. The only CEL that the car has had was from a bad O2 sensor right before the cat. The cat was replaced with a test pipe with the anti fouler mod and no CELs since then. I am not sure if any other info is needed, if it is, ask and I will get the info.

Is there a reason that you sugest not having my tranny rebuilt? If I would only be getting someone elses rebuilt tranny, isn't there a good chance that it was worse off than mine. It is supposed to be cheaper than a different unit and it looks like the same turnaround time. Is there something that I am missing here? Is it just because of how many miles that I have on my tranny?

When you say 'just buy a new one for 1-2K' are you talking buy a cheap A4 for 1-2K and strip her for parts, or buy a used tranny for 1-2K