B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

need new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

I don't know why it goes to a bmw exhaust but anyways. its a single mass flywheel conversion kit from Valeo, heres the description:

Valeo Flywheel Conversion - Direct OE replacement

This kit contains: solid flywheel (1); pressure plate (1); clutch disc (1); throw-out bearing (1); and flywheel mounting bolts. ***This solid flywheel replaces the OE dual mass flywheel***, Dual Mass to Solid Flywheel Conversion - Kit contains: Solid flywheel (1): pressure plate (1); clutch disc (1): throw-out bearing (1): and flywheel mounting bolts. ***This solid flywheel replaces the OE dual mass flywheel***

Part Number: W0133-1805086
Manufacturer Number: W0133-1805086

I'm not trying to cut corners or anything, I just feel that Valeo I assume is a good brand and getting a kit like this thats all one brand would work flawlessly and probably just as good as OEM or better. As I said before, I'm not trying to do nothing crazy, but i'm assuming when you go with the suggestions you put like the CM fx300, you will need to replace the flywheel as well right? will these clutches you recommend work well with the stock dmf? What site is the best place to get these clutches you recommend by the way?

Thanks alot in advance Mike, i'm not in dire need of a clutch now, but plan on putting a nice fresh new one soon to have that extra bite that I know a new clutch gives.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:02 AM
4th Gear

The Valeo comes with a cast 1 piece flywheel and it can only be used with a Valeo kit. I see those kits every single time I go to a supplier since they stock them for the local auto parts stores and shops near them, but told me that they are not that great since they are weaker then a OEM clutch and when they test the pressure plate the clamping load seems to be all over the place.

Picture of the Valeo kit for the A4.

I could sell those all day long but to me just doesn't have the quality that should be going into a A4 unless the car was 100% stock. If the clutch goes out you have to buy another one of those Valeo clutch kits and they dont offer it in a higher stage clutch kit. So at that point if you need more clutch you end up buying a whole new clutch/flywheel kit all over again and end up with a flywheel that is a huge paper weight.

The CM 228mm FX100/FX300/FX400(8pad) and the SB street kits are designed to work on the OEM dual mass flywheel or any aftermarket single mass flywheel that has the exact specs of the OEM flywheel. The CM and SB 6 puck clutch kits must be used on a single mass flywheel.

The 240mm FX300 comes with a 20 lbs steel flywheel since it is a larger disk/PP setup.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 06-25-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:11 AM
1st Gear

Ok gotcha Mike, your the man!! so where would be a good place to buy the the CM fx100 or the cm fx300?? It sounds like you sell them, how much do they go for? I'm assuming it would make more sense to just go for the CM FX300 since you say it comes with its own flywheel with the mods i'm planning on installing? Or is the CM FX100 good enough to handle a possible 300HP? Will a stock flywheel that currently has 157k miles, has been bone stock all its life, still be in good condition and not need replacement?

Old 06-25-2010, 10:10 AM
4th Gear

PM sent

Old 08-02-2010, 03:13 AM
1st Gear

Hey Mike I kinda have the same questions here, just bought a 97 a4 with 160k miles but the clutch is getting on it's way. Im not gonna be able to buy anything soon but i wanna gather some knowledge because it seems like your the guy to talk too. Is it recommended to replace the flywheel when you do the clutchjob at the same time or is it not needed? and it sounds like I want the cm fx100, I plan on just getting the k04 and chipping it so lemme know your input on it. Thanks in advance

Old 08-02-2010, 07:10 AM
Administrator

OP, when you test drive the car just test it out: Get goin about 25-30mph, slide it into 5th and put it to the wood. If the clutch is gonna slip at all it'll slip then. If it doesn't slip, I'd say you're alright. Like Devil said, guys (usually) don't launch the 2.8's near as much.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:07 AM
1st Gear
Default Stage 2 Clutch Kit

Gentlemen,

After my K04 tune from Speedtuning (or shortly before) my Luk Repset OEM clutch kit has crapped out for the most part, the 4th/5th gear pull at low RPM causes massive slippage.

With that said, my questions may be a stupid one, but I'm going for it anyway....

With the stock OEM dual-mass flywheel, am I still able to upgrade to any of the premium clutch kits that only come with the disk and pressure plate? I'm referring to the Spec Stage 2, ClutchMaster 228mm F250, ECS RA4, or Southbend HD-TZ....trying to get more information if I can use any of these kits with the stock flywheel (granted they are dual-mass kits) and if so, why or why not.....

I see some of these disk/pp kits in my price range, however the kits that include the flywheel put it over the top right now. If none of these setups will work with my OEM flywheel, what other "cheaper" or "temporary" options do I have? Can I use a flywheel from an S4 or something? I've been reading thread after thread about clutch replacements, but I want to make sure of this before I start sending money out....

Thanks all!

Last edited by wildfan4eva; 02-07-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:13 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Southbend will resurface your dual mass flywheel (as long as it's still in spec) after which it can be used with their 228mm clutch kits.

Mike Hood at Ringer Racing has this option listed on his site.

South Bend Clutch Kit - A4/Passat 1.8t

The other option is to go with the Valeo clutch and their single mass flywheel. The downside to that option is that you cannot use a CM or SB clutch with Valeo's proprietary flywheel.

Ha, I see I posted in this thread 4 years ago saying I needed a new clutch soon. Still running the stock clutch!

Last edited by BaseDrifter; 02-07-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:25 AM
1st Gear

I recently paid $5,200 AUD parts and labour at an Audi dealer for a new clutch including a new flywheel ($1,600 flywheel part alone). The $5,200 also included a new timing belt, water pump, and a few other maintenance type items.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
Southbend will resurface your dual mass flywheel (as long as it's still in spec) after which it can be used with their 228mm clutch kits.

Mike Hood at Ringer Racing has this option listed on his site.

South Bend Clutch Kit - A4/Passat 1.8t

The other option is to go with the Valeo clutch and their single mass flywheel. The downside to that option is that you cannot use a CM or SB clutch with Valeo's proprietary flywheel.

Ha, I see I posted in this thread 4 years ago saying I needed a new clutch soon. Still running the stock clutch!
Thanks for the reply. Considering my car has 245K and I only launch "very little", I went ahead and bought the Valeo Single Mass for $299 shipped new....I'll baby it for now and if/when my K03 goes out, will purchase a K04 and upgrade the clutch when needed. I'm surprised my original flywheel lasted to 245k with all the abuse, not too mention being Stage 1+ since about 180K or so...been so long I can't remember exactly when I had the tuning done...sad I know...

Last edited by wildfan4eva; 02-07-2014 at 06:33 AM.