B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need to Learn 5sp!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:13 AM
4th Gear

Practice, practice, practice. I learned way back when I was 16 when my dad helped buy an old beater that was a 5 speed. On the way to go register the car, my dad tossed me the keys to his little beater VW, also a 5 speed, and said figure it out.

It took some time, but eventually I got it, and now I'm a "pro." Not really, I occasionally stall (rarely) and even miss a gear and grind the hell out of it.

Once you learn, you never really forget either. It had been YEARs of not driving a stick when I bought my Audi, and I jumped right in, and after getting used to the release point on the clutch, it was a breeze to drive... It's good to learn young, because as a guy, if you can't drive a stick, your man card might be revoked if you're ever asked to move someone's car or what not, and you sheepishly reply, "I can't drive a manual."

Good luck with learning, be patient, and you'll get the hang of it...

Old 11-28-2009, 10:21 AM

Yup, takes time. Long as your on a flat surface you dont even need to hit the gas to get moving and even shift into second. GL!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Administrator

This might just be me, but when I learned (on an old Bronco) I found it helpful to stall the thing a couple times. That way I sorta learned where the clutch grabbed and how much wiggle room I had. I think you're just gonna have to practice-a lot. The clutches in these cars are kinda tricky because of how much travel there is between havin the clutch floored and where it starts to grab. Don't get frustrated, one of these times it'll just click (in your head, nothing will literally click lol) and you'll have it. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2009, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

Another thing, if you feel it about to stall (car starts bumping), hit the clutch, that usually saves it for me. Other than that, its all practice. Audi's have a hydraulic clutch that has a bit of a learning curve.
I drive my moms focus, and it sucks going back and forth when i get used to one or the other. but i like the hydro clutch WAY more

Old 11-28-2009, 01:55 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by codymack43
Another thing, if you feel it about to stall (car starts bumping), hit the clutch, that usually saves it for me. Other than that, its all practice. Audi's have a hydraulic clutch that has a bit of a learning curve.
I drive my moms focus, and it sucks going back and forth when i get used to one or the other. but i like the hydro clutch WAY more
Yea, thats how my mom's Hyundai I learned on is. I like the hydraulic clutch much better too, but going back and forth between the two is an experience. I can't drive her car after driving mine for a few months and not stall or high-rev trying to get moving in 1st.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear

Almost all newer cars have a hydraulic clutch. Not all of them feel like these crappy VAG clutches do. I had a 99 Camaro 'til recently with a stiff clutch that engaged right off the floor and took almost the whole pedal travel to work, and that was still hydraulic. Supposedly, some of the stage 3/4+ aftermarket clutches available for the A4s can fix the problem.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:33 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Almost all newer cars have a hydraulic clutch. Not all of them feel like these crappy VAG clutches do. I had a 99 Camaro 'til recently with a stiff clutch that engaged right off the floor and took almost the whole pedal travel to work, and that was still hydraulic. Supposedly, some of the stage 3/4+ aftermarket clutches available for the A4s can fix the problem.
kill me if im wrong, but our clutches ARE hydraulic....

and the best way to learn, is to first understand what the clutch is actually doing physically...

Old 11-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Administrator

I think what dragon was trying to say is that the odd feel that A4 clutches seem to have isn't JUST because they're hydraulic

Old 03-07-2010, 10:21 PM
1st Gear

After reading this I suddenly remembered how hard it was when I first started driving a manual transmission. Now I don't even realize I'm shifting.

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
Practice, practice, practice. I learned way back when I was 16 when my dad helped buy an old beater that was a 5 speed. On the way to go register the car, my dad tossed me the keys to his little beater VW, also a 5 speed, and said figure it out.

It took some time, but eventually I got it, and now I'm a "pro." Not really, I occasionally stall (rarely) and even miss a gear and grind the hell out of it.

Once you learn, you never really forget either. It had been YEARs of not driving a stick when I bought my Audi, and I jumped right in, and after getting used to the release point on the clutch, it was a breeze to drive... It's good to learn young, because as a guy, if you can't drive a stick, your man card might be revoked if you're ever asked to move someone's car or what not, and you sheepishly reply, "I can't drive a manual."

Good luck with learning, be patient, and you'll get the hang of it...
Well put. Although my best advice would be to find someone to teach you who is patient and isn't going to yell at you for stalling or doing the wrong thing. That seems to make it worse. But like all others have said. Start in a parking lot and get used to not stalling in first gear. Once you master that, you're set.

The whole idea of driving standard is simply not to stall. That seemed to help me mentally. Also, think of the clutch as a transitioner/blender. Those two thoughts made me realize what I was trying to actually do.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:55 PM

Roll down your window, turn off the radio, and become one with the car.
Try to get it rolling in 1st with out giving it any gas to establish exactly where your clutch disengages and then go from there. If you have trouble getting into first gear, shift into second and then back to first all while holding the clutch in.

Quick Reply: Need to Learn 5sp!!