B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need to Learn 5sp!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear
Default Need to Learn 5sp!!

How do i learn to drive 5sp!! i keep stalling the car! its starting to **** me off. i can do everything after but im having troubles with first. how did u guys learn? best ways to learn? i have problems getting it into gear its a pain. hopefully i'll get it

Old 11-27-2009, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

This is my first car and i was having trouble at first also, my trick was to rev the engine and let go the clutch really slowly making sure not to stall the car, after a while you get ok with it though.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:51 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MartinCieslak1
This is my first car and i was having trouble at first also, my trick was to rev the engine and let go the clutch really slowly making sure not to stall the car, after a while you get ok with it though.
my first car as well just getting really frustrated with getting into first gear i keep stalling it. i either let clutch out to fast or i dont give it gas. i cant tell when i need to give it gas.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:10 PM
2nd Gear

lol, well, if you do it martins way, you will need a new clutch really soon.
just rev match it, the way i tought a few ppl on the old jeep was to gas,gas a bit like your reving, then letting hte clutch out. google it or youtube it, and you will see some videos on how ppl do it.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

yea as i said i give it alot of gas and let the clutch go slowly, i know it wears off the clutch when you do that, but until i get used to it i guess its allright

Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear

These cars are tricky to learn on, the clutch catches rrrriiight at the end. My best advice I can give you (since I learned on a Hyundai and thus had a worlds-different clutch to try to get used to) is to go to a level road, one that you can let off the brake and not go anywhere, and then let the clutch out very slowly. It won't stall if you let it out really slowly (I've used this nice feature several times in stop and go traffic so it does work, I promise) but right towards the end, it'll start to catch and the car will start nudging forward a little. This is where you give it a little gas. If you don't give it gas and proceed to let it out slowly the rest of the way, you'll move along at about 5mph without gas or brake (why it's useful in stop and go traffic) and you can proceed once you've got the clutch all the way out to give it gas and go.

Obviously, you can't take that much time when you're at a red light or a stop sign or something, but this should get you used to where it'll catch so that with enough practice, you can just use the slow release method in stop and go traffic like me.

Best of luck

Old 11-27-2009, 09:53 PM

Try practicing letting the clutch out w/o even giving it gas to become familiar with the engagement point and how it feels. Once you have a feel for where it catches you know when and how much to rev. If you just rev the **** out of it you will hurt the clutch and look like a fool. You want to figure out a way to let the clutch out at the same time you are giving it gas to get a smooth start.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:57 PM
5th Gear

learn in an empty parking lot. first slowly let the clutch out until you feel the car vibrate a little and then give it some gas. let go of the clutch a little more and then give it more gas. keep doing this until you've fully let go of the clutch. it'll take a while but you'll get used to it. also, watch the tach, once the clutch starts to engage, the rpm will dip and you'll know to give it gas. practice a lot and you'll know how much gas to give it.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks every one i think my dads taking me again tomorrow. we went to a parking lot as hiwords suggested i can get it on the a downward slope but just cant get it right on an upperward slope cause i was doing the slow realease method and by the time the clutch was out i was going backwards. i guess practice makes perfect ill keep trying.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:47 AM
2nd Gear

Go buy a beater third-gen Camaro and learn on it

Quick Reply: Need to Learn 5sp!!