B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need insight on swapping wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Need insight on swapping wastegate

As the title states, I need insight on swapping the wastegate on my K03. The shop confirmed that it was the wastegate causing my 0psi issue. It seems that the spring in the actuator broke and now, the wastegate is shut all the time. A guy has offered me a blown K03 with a good wastegate. He said that it shouldn't be a tough job to swap them. Is he correct? With the correct tools, can a noob like me do it? Thanks

Old 03-05-2008, 10:58 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need insight on swapping wastegate

I did mine pretty easily but my turbo was fairly new. If it is the stock turbo and has a lot a mileage on it. I would be careful the bolts may snap. Remove the air box, the turbo intake pipe(hose),and the turbo output pipe(hose). Unbolt the cat-converter and pushed it back. Remove the a/c compressor and move it to side without removing the pressure lines on it. Just unplug the wire though. Once the A/C is out there is a support bracket from the turbo to the engine block you will need to remove that one. Then go on top of the engine andremove the bolts that hold the oil pressure line and PCV line to cylinder head. Then remove the 3 bolts thatmounts the turbo on the exhaust manifold. This way you can remove the actuatornut to the wastegate flap. Then remove the bolts from the actuator itself there should be 3, 2 for the actuator and 1 for the cooling line. But like I said bolts may snap so definitely look into replacing the turbo as a option.You could possibly get it out without removing the turbo and cat but with the right tools extensions and swivelsit could be a pain in the a$$ though. If this is a car your going to keep I would definitly look into purchasing the Bently's Publishing@ Audi repair manual cd. You can find them at www.Ross-Tech.com. Keep in mind I did this without removing my cooling lines or oil lines it worked for me but could be different for you. Hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

On second thought if the wastegate was stuck closed you would get some boost. If it was stuck open then you would probably get no boost. I would get another opinion. Do you have a boost gauge? My original turbo had a hole just under the wasegate which was the cause of me having no boost pressure Does your turbo have cracks in it? You would probaly see a yellowish white spot on the turbo housing leaking exhaust. A crack would be present there.If thats the case a new turbo is a definite.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: awwdii

On second thought if the wastegate was stuck closed you would get some boost. If it was stuck open then you would probably get no boost. I would get another opinion. Do you have a boost gauge? My original turbo had a hole just under the wasegate which was the cause of me having no boost pressure Does your turbo have cracks in it? You would probaly see a yellowish white spot on the turbo housing leaking exhaust. A crack would be present there.If thats the case a new turbo is a definite.
Thanks for all the advice.. It was my mistake saying that it was stuck closed, it is stuck open- posting right after waking up is no good with me .. Myturbo seems to be the stock one.. 121k but the techs at RennArt said that it was still at good enough condition to just replace the WG instead of swapping the whole thing.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

Ok thats explains it well like I said it's fairly easy to replace granted the bolts come out ok. Good Luck let us know how it works out

Old 03-06-2008, 08:03 AM
1st Gear

Also, another question: Is it possible to just swap the actuators and not the complete wastegate? Thanks.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: erikas3

Also, another question: Is it possible to just swap the actuators-only one actutatorunlessyou have 2 turbos.and not the complete wastegate? Thanks.
Granted the bolts come out with ease you should be able to replace just the wastegate actuator.

To replace the flap would be alot more involved which would require removing the turbo and doing some drilling. But imo the exhaust housing would probably melt at the point of the flap going bad unless the flap seized of course then that is whole other ball game.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:54 PM
1st Gear

See.. I can't post in the morning.. Yes, I meant 'actuator'. It seems that the flap is alright on my turbo, it's just the spring on the actuator thats bad..

Old 03-07-2008, 09:09 AM
1st Gear

Let us know how it works out. Heat and a lot of wd40 could be handy good luck