B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need help!!!!! Please read and gimme input!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help!!!!! Please read and gimme input!!!

Hey everyone recently my audis battery light has been coming on when i reach a certain rpm and my volt meter goes down ... i brought to advanced auto tested battery and said it was bad so i got new one and same problem bbrought back to advanced auto and they tested alternator and it sais has no voltage?? ... is there a fuse for the alternator or does it def need a new one??? if so how could this all of a sudden happen and does anyopne have tutorial for putting in??? ....... second question is ... i have a engine check light for --- system too lean bank 1--- doesnt say bank1 sensor blah blah ... and i dont know what this all means?? can anyone please gimme input .. thanks alot !! ryan

Old 06-23-2009, 06:24 PM

I'm not sure if the two are related, the first is IMO a short somewhere, and you are smoking your new battery by continuing to run on it. I can picture a loose piece of something somewhere in your alternator, and when you reach a certain point (certain RPM) the centrifical force pushes that something out, shorting to another something, which may lead to a stray voltage going into somewhere is shouldn't be lol.

Sound plausible?

About the "bank 2 lean" condition, maybe that short is going into your injector harness wiring? Maybe you have clogged injectors. I would check your plugs, you can tell a real lean condition by the state of the plugs. Running lean causes a very high-heat condition and is evident by "white" and corroded plugs.

Hope that helps

-Brian

Old 06-23-2009, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

At what rpm is the volt meter going down? Sounds strange. The bad alternator probably killed your battery. There is no fuse inside the alternator, just diodes, and if they failed you will still need a new alternator. Lean issue is probably vac hose related.