B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

need help with my 99 2.8 A4 Avant, missing really bad after dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:40 AM
1st Gear
Default need help with my 99 2.8 A4 Avant, missing really bad after dead battery

so i left the ignition/radio on, drained the battery and didn't realize it till a couple of days later, it was completely drained. So I jump started it and was able to keep it running but it was missing really bad and if I let off the gas it would shut off. Jump started it again, and with the the engine still missing pretty bad I drove it down the street and back in hopes of the alternator charging it back up. The car had literally no power at all, seemed like it was running on one cylinder, anyways, I had the battery check it wasn't bad just needed a charge, but after a solid overnight charge the engine still misses pretty bad when I start it. I figured my next step was the alternator, but wanted to see if I should look elsewhere, someone said maybe its the regulator?? Also when the car is running (barely running) the voltage gauge fluctuates when I rev it up, and goes down when a lot when I let off the gas..

please help!! I love this car, was running great, 212K miles though.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

Is the battery now fully charged? I'm not sure an alternator will solve your problem. I would have the battery checked again.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by justanotherjpr
Is the battery now fully charged? I'm not sure an alternator will solve your problem. I would have the battery checked again.
i had the battery check, they said it was good and charged it overnight for me, i'm just gonna take the alternator in and have them check it also. i've dealt with dead batterys and alt. before but never had the engine misfire like this before.