B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need help with MP3 player integration

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help with MP3 player integration

I want to play my Archos 5 (I don't have an iPod) through my OEM Symphony I stereo without the use of an FM transmitter or cassette adapter. It seems that the easiest way to do this is to make use of the CD changer port (which is empty and useless in my B5) in the trunk. The dilemma arises when I look for a product that will do this. I found a few, but I don't know if they are what I need. Here's the main one I have in mind. I have no idea what the blue, 8-pin plug is. Will this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUXIL...fAudioQ5fVideo

Old 03-29-2010, 09:08 PM
1st Gear

bump bump

Old 03-29-2010, 09:57 PM
3rd Gear

I assume that the adapter will work. For $17, even if it doesn't you aren't taking a huge hit. Props for rocking the Archos. I used to have one as well....I ended up selling it off. I wish I hadn't.....so I could have been of more help to you.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ObnoxiousDrunk
I assume that the adapter will work. For $17, even if it doesn't you aren't taking a huge hit. Props for rocking the Archos. I used to have one as well....I ended up selling it off. I wish I hadn't.....so I could have been of more help to you.
Archos beats the iPod by a mile! All I need is something with a 3.5mm headphone jack though. I've been reading up on it, I think the blue cable plugs directly into the back of the head unit, but I'm not 100% on that.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:15 PM
3rd Gear

That plug does look like it is useful in the wiring harness provided for hooking up aftermarket head-units....there should be a place to plug it in.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:26 PM
2nd Gear

If you want stuff to integrate aftermarket equipment into stock audio systems, check out http://pac-audio.com/

I am too lazy to look up what they have for our cars, but they have stuff for pretty much any car.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:46 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
If you want stuff to integrate aftermarket equipment into stock audio systems, check out http://pac-audio.com/

I am too lazy to look up what they have for our cars, but they have stuff for pretty much any car.
At those prices, you'd be better off buying an aftermarket head-unit with a usb interface and using the usb connection on the Archos.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:03 AM
1st Gear

If you are looking for OEM plus with an aux input then you can get a digital CD changer like this

that plugs into the cd changer port on the back of your stock stereo. You can control the fast forward and rewind etc. with the OEM deck which is one of the reasons why I wanted this thing. I didn't want the big stereo and wanted to keep everything looking stock. You can also plug in an 1/8th jack into the side of the unit but I haven't had the need to test that.

I've had mine since December 09 and I just love it. The stereo thinks that a CD changer is installed so you take an SD card and load it up into 6 directories with up to 99 mp3s in each folder. I installed mine in my glove compartment and can access it whenever I need to. I got it here http://www.car-cd-changer.net/...d=450 and they were very nice to deal with. The website is kind of corny but if you IM them, they will chat with you or email you to get what you want. It's a great alternative. I think I paid around 100USD shipped to my door. Good luck.

Doug

Old 03-30-2010, 08:39 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ObnoxiousDrunk
At those prices, you'd be better off buying an aftermarket head-unit with a usb interface and using the usb connection on the Archos.
Lots of times you can find decent prices on Ebay, etc.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:20 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Cybersombosis
If you are looking for OEM plus with an aux input then you can get a digital CD changer like this

that plugs into the cd changer port on the back of your stock stereo. You can control the fast forward and rewind etc. with the OEM deck which is one of the reasons why I wanted this thing. I didn't want the big stereo and wanted to keep everything looking stock. You can also plug in an 1/8th jack into the side of the unit but I haven't had the need to test that.

I've had mine since December 09 and I just love it. The stereo thinks that a CD changer is installed so you take an SD card and load it up into 6 directories with up to 99 mp3s in each folder. I installed mine in my glove compartment and can access it whenever I need to. I got it here http://www.car-cd-changer.net/...d=450 and they were very nice to deal with. The website is kind of corny but if you IM them, they will chat with you or email you to get what you want. It's a great alternative. I think I paid around 100USD shipped to my door. Good luck.

Doug

That looks interesting, but how would I control my Archos using the stock radio? I've got over 5500 songs on my Archos and plenty of room for more (it's 160GB), so cycling through songs one by one would be a pain. Is it possible to cycle through artists or genres using the OEM stereo. When connected through USB, the Archos does not allow me to use its interface.

Quick Reply: Need help with MP3 player integration