B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need help with motor selection

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 09:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help with motor selection

Well my Audi is a 2001 a4 1.8t Quattro automatic
I need help figuring out what I should look for when looking for a replacement 1.8t engine
It was slightly parted so it is missing
Engine and attached components
All engine wiring that could be cut or unplugged
All hoses
The electronic Module that is on the top driver side of the engine bay
The gauge cluster
Headlights
And a fn lot of missing nuts and bolts to make things work again
Came with two auto transmissions one in the car still attached to everything yet
The other I'm assuming is a spare but it's in the trunk and heavy as hell I am not a weak person and I can barely get it to budge up

It has the radiators and bumper cover and a black tube that joins the frame rails on each side with 4 bolts I think? (Bolts missing of course)
Well on the good side of things the car is a roller all drive train components still intact and haven't been monkeyed with

The previous owner gave me the story that he bought it from someone as a whole project only issues was that it was in some sort of limp mode stuck on 4th gear I think he said... Well he was waiting for the person to get the title to him and figured they weren't ever going to get it to him so he started to part it out and the person got back to him with the title and the very next day I bought the car clean title as it sat he also mentioned after I drove 2hours to his house that he had pulled the entire interior out half assedly to apparently search for a corroded connection that might be causing the limp mode... Doubt it probly a sensor or boost leak...

But I was going to leave the carpet out until I get a running engine in it so I can diagnose what's wrong just in case he may be onto something lmao once again I doubt it by a long shot but I don't know Audi that well yet so I can be smarty pants yet

Now sitting in my driveway till tax time when I can afford an engine for it (first child due in October) and other missing components... Probly sell one of the transmissions when I got a chance to help fund the project

So bottom Line I need to know how to figure out what specific 1.8t engine I have so I have a better chance of locating one

maybe the other option was to buy a parts car with the motor and all other missing parts and hardware I need and dropping it into my car

Old 09-18-2016, 09:39 AM
2nd Gear

I have a 2001.5 1.8t and I have the AWM, which is the newest engine Audi made for the B5.

Mines FWD, but I don't think it matters, because they all have the same transmission (if I'm not mistaken).

You can most likely buy an engine with the tranny still attached to it.

G/L

Old 11-14-2016, 10:27 AM
1st Gear

Well the cool part is that I have the original trans still mounted in the factory location and a spare in the trunk which I should actually get on taking out now that I remembered it was there

Old 11-14-2016, 12:41 PM

Try Wolf Auto Parts https://www.wolfautoparts.com

They also sell their stuff on eBay for safer buying if you're far away from them, but I've bought quite a lot of parts from them and they're pretty honest guys and topnotch service.

Hope this helps

Old 11-22-2016, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

Oh cool man thanks I will take a look yeah there's some wiring in need to address over the winter that the previous owner thought was a good idea to chop apart don't know what it's even for =\