B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need help making an alignment decision

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear
Default Need help making an alignment decision

I'm getting new tires in a week or two and I want them to last a long time. Would a 2 wheel alignment suffice or should I get all 4? Does it even make a difference doing 4 or 2 with a fwd or quattro? I'm just looking to save some money if I can since I think I either need a new bearing or axle on one side too. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Administrator

you might as well get a 4 wheel alignment. If you're looking to save money, go to Firestone and get a lifetime alignment. They'll do a 4 wheel alignment and then you can come back for as long as you own the vehicle and they'll do alignments for free

Old 07-09-2010, 01:46 PM

I got new tires a couple months ago as well as replaced the front control arms/tie rod ends, and took in my car for an alignment a month later.

We have no alignment capability aside from front toe... And of course the place I went to still charged for a full 4-wheel alignment.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MetalMan
We have no alignment capability aside from front toe
are you sure?

Old 07-09-2010, 02:19 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
are you sure?
This is what I need to know for sure then so I don't get ripped off.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

There is more adjustment then that, we have front toe, rear camber, Possibly rear toe as well. I just cant remember from when I did mine. The problem is a lot of german cars have very little that can be adjusted due to the fact they should never really get out unless you hit something. And like bmw's and Mercedes have to get their **** done with sandbags.

But Like CCa4 said, go to firestone. My friend has a jeep he takes 4 wheeling all the time and gets it aligned from that like every other month.

I know thats a lot cheaper than it is at goodyear, where I work for as its 69 an alignment. Plus most places now dont do 2 wheel, only four, and you have to adjust the rear for the front to run straight.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by CCA4
are you sure?
Originally Posted by Desert Fox
There is more adjustment then that, we have front toe, rear camber, Possibly rear toe as well. I just cant remember from when I did mine. The problem is a lot of german cars have very little that can be adjusted due to the fact they should never really get out unless you hit something. And like bmw's and Mercedes have to get their **** done with sandbags.

But Like CCa4 said, go to firestone. My friend has a jeep he takes 4 wheeling all the time and gets it aligned from that like every other month.

I know thats a lot cheaper than it is at goodyear, where I work for as its 69 an alignment. Plus most places now dont do 2 wheel, only four, and you have to adjust the rear for the front to run straight.
We are talking about the FWD here... Can't adjust rear camber with torsion bar suspension (I think that's what it's called), and there isn't any rear toe adjustment either. You prove otherwise, and I will send you $5 by Paypal so I can call out the alignment place But I've spent hours in the rear wheel wells (brakes, the rotors are a real PITA on FWD), so I think I know what I am talking about!

Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
We are talking about the FWD here... Can't adjust rear camber with torsion bar suspension (I think that's what it's called), and there isn't any rear toe adjustment either. You prove otherwise, and I will send you $5 by Paypal so I can call out the alignment place But I've spent hours in the rear wheel wells (brakes, the rotors are a real PITA on FWD), so I think I know what I am talking about!
Thanks man. I can get a two wheel alignment out here where I live for 50 bucks, so that's cool. Thanks for pointing that out. I called Firestone out here and they want $140 for the lifetime alignment thing. It would be good to get that but 50 sounds a lot more do-able right now.