B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need Expert Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Exclamation Need Expert Advice

Hello all and Merry Christmas,
(Sorry about the double post, I forgot to post in the b5 sub-forum)

I have a 1996 an Audi A4 Quattro, which I obviously love with all my heart. In June I had a $1500 suspension job, tie rods, bearings, etc all replaced brand new since the bearings were on the skirts. Car ran fine, besides the ABS issue most people have.

Fast forward to about 1 month ago. I had a coolant leak somewhere. I took it to the shop and they told me it was a bad heater core and over the 3 days it spent at the shop (I dropped it off on Friday and got it on Monday) they told me the engine was toast also. It was milkshaked from Oil/Coolant mixture and to cut your losses/ditch the car. I never noticed a lick of trouble from the engine until I sat there for 3 days at the "best shop around here", but whatever. Its over and done with. I have my theories.

So now I find a local part vendor that was a "running 2.8 b5" with low 100k miles on it. (Mine had 180k) He wants $800 w/ 90 day warranty, or $700 as is. I called a local guy that can do it after he gets off work If I tow the car to him for $450. He will also do the heater core for $200 + part ($75).

The problem is, a friend of mine and myself ripped the engine out of the car. Its completely out and sitting on a cherry picker in my garage. We are out of our league, this wiring and setup is just too much for my little amount of time and patience.

So I ask you, would you spend roughly $1450....
$700 engine
$200 for heater core labor (I know this job is a bitch)
$450 to drop in engine

I thought $450 for just putting in a engine was a little high, but I have no clue. Considering the car has little to no value in its current state, is this the proper move to repair? Or am I just blinded by the German engineering and personal bias? Any help in making the best decision on this would be greatly appreciated. I go to college and don't have time or money to make $1500 mulligans.

Thanks for any help

PS.
If anyone does, or knows of someone who is a good Audi wrench in Northeast Ohio (Cleveland/Akron area), I would LOVE to have their information.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Administrator

I'm not exactly an expert, but I feel like at this point you're already pot-commited as they say. Right now you've got a busted motor on a cherry picker and a car that, in its current condition, isn't worth much (prolly get more parting it out). You're already half way there. If this guy is gonna put the new motor in for you and do the heater core, i'd go for it. Thats way less than you'd end up paying a garage (and DEFINITELY less that you'd pay the dealer) for some pretty labor-intensive work. I say go for it.

In hind sight, I prolly would have dumped the car before you ripped the motor out of it in the first place. It's a lot easier to find a new B5 than do a motor swap. Good luck though man i hope everything works out for ya!

Old 12-22-2008, 09:28 AM

Thanks a lot, I have that feeling also. When I think what kind of a car I can get for $1400, the short answer is nothing. I just wasn't sure on the labor pricing. Appreciate quick response.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator

np. I agree, $1400 cash won't get you anything close to a nice B5 A4 with a good motor, but it wouldn't be a bad down payment on one....

At this point though i think you should just run with it. Make sure this guy knows what he's doin though, a motor swap is never simple, even with a motor that belongs in the car. Good luck!