B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need advice today please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

This is an older picture from my previous timing belt job...The old "original belt was obviously nice and tight...Ill post up a pic of how loose the new belts are as soon as I get it uploaded from my phone. Meanwhile, if anyone with this same engine that currently has it apart could take a precise measurment for me I'd really appreciate putting this bent shaft theory to rest. I just need to know the distance between the two pulleys center to center. Thanks guys...

Name:  TimingBeltJob0022.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  146.0 KB

Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 AM

Don't have my car in service position, but have you spun the power steering pulley? If the shaft is bent you'd be able to see it wobble. Does this shaft have any side-to-side play (such as from worn bearings)?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

No side to side play, spins true, it does feel like if I move it in and out it will move like 1/16"...I'm at a loss and its cold as hell out there. Thanks for tuning in though and the advice. I'll post something when I figure out what the issue is. Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

So I think I've figured out that its the wrong belt size. I called multiple part stores today only to find out that the most of them only list 2 belts. The serpentine, and the a/c-idler belt. With the exception of Advance Auto Parts...they list the v-belt for the power steering-water pump, but it's been removed by their corporate office as far as pricing and availability. So from what I can determine, there's been a lot of incorrect belts sold for this particular application, and I'm sure it's ruined a lot of water pumps. Thats one way to boost water pump sales, eh! From the best I can figure, it's either go to the part store and shop their v-belt section and size it down one or two sizes, or go to the stealership...

Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

My waterpump - powersteering belt was under $15 for sure dont remember how much exactly and i bought it from the stealership lol just get it there... Atleast its the right size and wont screw up your car

Old 01-28-2012, 02:15 PM
1st Gear

So the belt from the dealer worked like a charm. Just to inform anyone about buying this part from Napa or other parts houses...avoid the hassle. Now my next question is, my power steering fluid all leaked to the garage floor from the cooler being unbolted and leaning against the ground. So both hoses (reservoir to pump, and reservoir to cooler) are leaking profusely. The integrity of the hose from the cooler to the rack seems to be fine. Thing I dont understand is, the one from the reservoir to the cooler is just a standard issue power steering hose thats straight and crimped on and the dealer wants $84 for it? What gives? I work at a plumbing supply house and have the crimps and the tool to crimp it, why can't I just use standard power steering hose? The one from the res. to the pump is larger in diameter and has a pretty good 90° bend in it and they want $60 for that one and it has to be ordered. A week out. Has anyone successfully used standard power steering hose crimped on that you buy by the foot at the parts store to make this repair? Thanks guys...

Old 01-28-2012, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Just looked at the manual and it looks like the pressure line to the rack is ok. The suction hose from the pump to the res. is wasted and the return hose from the cooler to the res. is wasted. So those are the two that I need to replace and can't find anywhere by this weekend.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

Its weird because when i was doing my waterpump swap the other day my power steering leaked a bit onto the floor as well from that cooler

Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

Successfully replaced the suction hose with 5/8" multi-purpose hose from Napa. It's reddish orange in color. Used new stainless steel crimp rings from my work to secure it and the repair has successfully held for almost a month now. Power steering feels so much better now. I also replaced cooler hose and recrimped it with new rings and all is good. Thanks for everyones help. Now my brakes **** the bed and I hear play in the steering components up front....YAY!! Freakin money pit. Good think I'm in love with this car... = P

By the way, if anyone could tell me why this website won't load at my work I'd really love to know. Guess I'll try another browser. But the banner up top loads, but it just sits there and says done loading and stays blank indefinately. I'd be way more active on here if I could access it from my work, as I spend 70 hours a week there.

Last edited by rocky_mtn_a4; 02-23-2012 at 08:53 PM.