B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need advice today please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:37 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Need advice today please?

So I bought this car last year and did an immediate TB & WP due to lack of service records from the PO. I bought the new TB kit from Blauparts, installed it, and it's been just short of a year and the impellar bearings are wasted on the pump. Belt looks fine, its only got about 20,000 miles on it in the past year. My question is, after taking this all apart, do I absolutely have to replace the TB tensioner? (The cylinder w/ the grenade style pin you pull). That thing is $164.00 at Napa and has to be ordered. I was hoping to get this wrapped up this weekend and continue driving this car to work. The tensioner was just replaced last year when I bought the kit also. I can't wait for Blauparts warranty process for a new pump. So I figured the Gates pump from Napa should be fine too right?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:50 PM
2nd Gear

My advice is not to go cheap with timing related parts. I've owned my car for over a year and have driven it for two days total. Try rockauto.com or partsgeek.com

Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

I know a VW mechanic and his dealership just presses the piston back down.
If you decide to, use a vice and go real slow.
But i recommend replacing it.
Id also just buy it online. I'm sure you could find a better price.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 PM
1st Gear

If you decide to keep the tensioner you can install it and it will settle on its own over night. I pulled the pin a little too early the last time I did my TB. Just make sure it has tension before you turn the engine.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Administrator

You're fine leaving it in. Do your next TB on schedule and change it all again then.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

I've about got it buttoned back up but I'm thinking the tension on the belt that drives the WP from the PS pulley needs more tension...is there a tensioner I'm not seeing? I think this is why the bearings in the old pump failed.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:49 PM
1st Gear

I guess I don't understand how your supposed to get tension on the v-belt that runs the WP. I've given up for the night. The only thing I can think of is that Napa sold me the wrong belt. It looks very close to the belt I removed though. This sucks...lol. You know I really hope that this isn't a problem related to the failed pump bending or jacking up the power steering pulley since they're directly connected via that v-belt. I just find it really weird that that belt is so sloppy when you turn the water pump pulley, the belt just slides on the power steering pulley. Doesn't grab whatsoever....

Last edited by rocky_mtn_a4; 01-22-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

No one's ran into this problem? I need to get back running...lol. My Dodge Ram is killing me in gas mileage for my 100 mile daily commute. =) I'm sure it's something silly, but feel free to chime in, make me feel like a dumbass, and I'll get it fixed...lol. At this point thats way better than the bad water pump jacked up the shaft on the power steering pump and now thats another expensive problem to fix...

Last edited by rocky_mtn_a4; 01-23-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 PM

Tension is applied when you torque down the 3 bolts each on the power steering pump and water pump. These are supposed to have 18 ft-lbs... The V-belt will be pretty tight on there if done correctly and the proper belt was used. It is possible to make the V-belt skip but in general this won't happen.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 PM
1st Gear

Ok so, the only thing I can think of is I have the wrong belt...I just find it weird that Blauparts and Napa would have both sold me the incorrect belt size, so thats why I was leaning towards something may have gotten bent by the wobbling water pump shaft...Hell I dunno. Guess the simple thing to do would be to go get another belt. The new one from Napa and the old one from Blauparts seem to fit relatively close to the same. If anything theres a little more slack on the newer belt from Napa. But no matter which belt I try, I can almost fit my pinky between the belt and the pulley if I have it tight on the sandwich pulley (water pump side) and pull it tight to the right one the power steering shaft pulley. Likewise, when I turn the water pump pulley with the belt on it nice and snug, it's so loose the power steering pump pulley isnt even grabbing the belt. Not sure if I explained that well enough, but hopefully you get what I'm talking about. And the three pulley bolts were definately tight...on both pulleys. Weirdness.

Quick Reply: Need advice today please?