B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

need advice on a couple of things please :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:37 PM
1st Gear
Default need advice on a couple of things please :)

Ok i got a 2001 1.8 a4 back in august and have noticed a couple things i would/need to get fixed

first i have a slow coolant leak/ maybe it burns off when heater is on cuz it will smell funny every now and then. its very slow leak so i have just been keeping an eye on it

second after paying the audi dealership just about 200 dollars (cheaper place that has battery's ?) for a new battery my cig lighter stoped working (not a big deal cuz i dont smoke) and the blinkers will flash once then stop. the emergency flashers are fine? not sure why

i have an alignment problem but i have one odd tire on it cuz i had a flat and i'm going to get a new one so they are the same but money is tight so how long should / can i postpone this? they say they are the same tire size on the tires and when i compare them side by side height wise they are the same but on the car it just looks slightly bigger for som reason could be the tread pattern throughing me off. but honestly it feels like the tire is loose or maybe a rubbing brake? can hear a slight wobble and its pulls right really bad on contours in the road, (roads here are ****)

there is a slight delay on the throttle from a standstill, it responds nice after about 20mph but a second delay any slower and its worse when its cold outside. any suggestions or is this normal

and my engine light comes on at will it seems, could be one of the above but my gramps has a reader so im going to have him read it soon

it has 80k, 3 previous owners, just got an oil change and the timeing belts were said to have been replaced at 70k. not sure about wheel size but it looks like they are the standard audi rims so what ever size those are i guess. any help or advice please

Last edited by drockmcownage; 03-04-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

Check if seat heating works aswell.
None of my seat heaters + 12v cig output works, probably need to change fuse only.
The indicator I don't know how works on the A4.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
1st Gear

o yea the seat heaters work very well sometimes they start to burn my *** when i leave them on high

Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

Haha, we should trade then. I live in Norway!! Need some burning.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:07 PM
1st Gear

Some burning of what exactly lol i live in Arkansas USA love the awd here

Old 03-04-2009, 06:53 PM
1st Gear
Lightbulb

u should check all ur hoses (soft means deteriorating on the inside) and replace any if needed.. that will help prevent leaks & such..

depending on how worn down ur tread is, try not to put too many miles on it or avoid driving fast thru pot holes/dips/bumps/etc. as they will effect the tire tread & air pressure.. if u have a full-size-spare (like all stock Audi's) it should b fine..

if u change ur oil, rotate tires, check coolant/brakes/trans fluid every 1000 miles, u will keep that B5 engine extremely healthy..

i also hav a 01 B5 Quattro with 138K mi on it.. still runs smooth, feels faster in cold weather..

Old 03-04-2009, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

i'll get the hoses checked and the tread is like new on all tires so i cant really tell if the alignment is just bad and accented cuz of the shity roads plus i'm new the the awd so it feels nice but sometimes a little akward, come to think of it i prolly need trans fluid replaced so thank you 01a5b5

Old 03-04-2009, 07:44 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation

alignment & possible suspension tweak should set all wheels legit, depending on if u hav OE suspension or aftermarket..

i was actually gona take my car in to get my suspension balanced & tuned this weekend, cuz when i first installed my coilovers i set them to about a 2.5" drop in the front & 2.25" in the rear.. its pretty low, ive killed 1 muffler just from scraping all the time.. suprisingly judging the pre-sets for the coilovers i set myself, i havnt had any bad tire wear.. i just wana raise it just an inch so i dont scrape so much (i drive to LA alot)..

Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 PM
1st Gear

sweet thx, i am pretty sure its orignal suspension but not sure how to tell its had 3 owners but im sure they didnt upgrade any thing, its all stock as far as i know, i live in fayetteville ar and we have some SHITTY roads here and lots of steep incline and i bottom out on lots of places, i should prolly check the belly of my beast for any damage too...... just adding to list lol really hope this car doesnt **** out on me but im going to baby it back to prime condition as the funds come along

Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

so i just got done talking to a friend and he said my alignment problem could be a bearing needs replaced? any body else think thats plauseable

Quick Reply: need advice on a couple of things please :)