B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

N75 breaks down

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 04:54 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: N75 breaks down

I meant the rods, sorry, but OK, now I got that cleared out, thanks =)

You mean change to a new one? Don't know, I don't want to buy a new one until I have localized the problem, they're pretty expensive here :/

I was thinking that it maybe get's too much/little power? Like, if the cable was wearing thing.
The mechanical presets works and everything, and as I wrote before, I tested to pump air into the hose to the wastegate, at it moved nicelyand all that. So it's definetily the N75.
A swedish forum talked about a "device" on the ECU that could send too much power or something like that...but why would the ECU just turn evil like that? :P

Old 04-26-2008, 09:19 AM
5th Gear

yeah thats why i suggested the mbc, since messing around with the n75 might get a little costly.

but you have 2 n75's now right? what happens when you switch between them?

Old 04-26-2008, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

Well, first time I swithced, it worked great for 2 weeks, then it started to pulse and all, and then it skyrocketed.
I put back my old one and it pulsed as usual for 2 minutes, then it skyrocketed too. But sometimes it works just as it should, especially on 2nd gear.

Could it be te boost pressure? It worked for 6 months tho...:/

Old 04-26-2008, 02:05 PM
5th Gear

what happens when you put the new one on again?

Old 04-26-2008, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

I was searching the net and stumbled across this page, even though I own a Audi TT 2005 180hp model,we do have the same problem.

I recently (like a 2 months ago) Installed a BSR PPC upgrade. It ran fine until 1 week ago when the boost started to skyrocket above 1.5 and the engine stalled on me and would regulate boost between 1.0 and 1.5bar, giving a unhealthy ride to say the least. I reprogramed the ECU to Original and all was fine.

I was having some overboost fromoriginal program before the chip tuningfrom0.6bar to about 0.8 just as you give full throttle and the second afterward the boost went to 0.6 and stayed there.

When I first installed the chip upgrade I was informed by the technician that the N75 valve was a little off but within parameters and told me to change that if it got worse (like it did)
So I ordered a new 034906283F N75 Valve. The problem vanished, I got good boost and stayed at about 1.1-1.2. Though it gave some surgewhen giving modrate throttle (went to almost full boost at 50% throttle without full acceleration giving a choppy acc.).

Just 3-4 days after thechange the pressure just jumps between 1.0 and 1.5 bar giving that bumpy ride again.........

I have stumbled across several threads on the net and after this one: http://www.eclubvw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1704I ordered a J valve at: http://www.dahlbackracing.se/main.asp

As you live in sweden, as I do, I think Dahlbäck would be the closest vendor for those items....and to be frank I havent found those parts anywwhere else on the net besides US and UK.

I have ordered a VAG-COM diagnostic tool and will see if all the parameters are working and give the ECU some time to get use to the new N75J and tell my findings here if the valve have worked better than the old one.

I use a BFG DV, I use to have it in 50% atmosphere venting for the sound but have plugged it to full recirc to minimize the error search.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

I am also considering ordering this thingy....seems promising after some reading. Will try to wait for the other parts before messing with more parameters though

http://www.boostvalve.com/1.8info.html

Old 04-26-2008, 09:44 PM
5th Gear

i would be talking with the guys who tuned your car. usually tho, the n75 will cause you to go into limp mode not overboost. are both of you running the stock dv?

if i were you tho, i would just get an mbc in place of the n75. you can run it inline with n75 if u want but i would just run the mbc and leave the n75 plugged in electronically only. its perfectly safe and actually works even better

Old 04-27-2008, 06:14 AM
1st Gear

@ moxin: Ok, I've heard about this "j-valve" but I can't find it on dahlback.se, wanna post a link? BTW, where do you live? If you live close to me, wanna help me with checking my car with your VAG-COM?

@ Chaos: We'll, I have talked to them, and they say it's the N75, which it is, of course :P, but I want to know what causes them to break, and then, they say that they want to do some troubleshooting before they make any statements.
And no, I haven't switched back, but my hypothetis is that it won't make any difference...I will try today or tomorrow to see if there is any difference.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:12 AM
1st Gear

@ Zoidberg: Just look at http://www.dahlbackracing.se/main.asp, "Ă–vriga Delar" > "Eldetaljer" and on the bottom of that page you find several different versions of that valve. Take a look at http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/canbus.html, if you find your car having a CAN bus, then the VAG-COM i have is incompatible with your car since my car doesnt have CAN bus as far as I know (Audi TT 2005 180hp 2WD). Other than that, I live in Lysekil on the westcoast.

@Chaos92287: Well maybe, but the main reason is that the boost fluctuates very much and either register the knock sensors since the engine stalls sometimes intermittently on max throttle. The VAG-COM will show that if its the case. Either way I cant drive with variable boost. So the MBC could be one way of sorting that since it flucuates between 1.1-1.5bar. Just put the MBC at max 1.1....should be ok. BUT, it also surges some on moderate throttle, lacking the smoothness a stock car with org ECU program have......Guess you cant have the cookie and eat it at the same time eh?
I have a GFB Hybrid DV: http://www.gofastbits.com/index.php?..._option=hybrid
But I have put it in 100% recirculation to minimize error sourches, and no, putting the original Bosch Diverter didnt help at all. Problem persists.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:18 AM
1st Gear

One more thing, I also talked with BSR technicians about it....their answer is: "Well we havent gotten any reports that might suggest that it should be any problem, you are welcome to come to us for a checkup on your car." I explained exactly what Ive told you to them..... and that is all they say....if you search the net for N75 related problems you will find tons of articles written about "surging" and limp mode related to chip tuning on VAG cars. So their response is quite disapointing. The could also be doing some Damage control from their part but If this problem is that big I think they should inform their customers that It could happen.

I will take this issue up with the technicians at Autotrim Gothenburg and see what they say about it as it was him that mentioned this to me in the first place. Also it was that filial that I bought the BSR tuning SW from aswell. I will report back here of my findings

Quick Reply: N75 breaks down