B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Mystery Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 10:37 AM
1st Gear
Default Mystery Warning Light

I know this is not much to go by but out of all of us with burned out cluster pixels, does this light look familiar to anyone?

https://i.ibb.co/x51xTDP/b5-light.jpg

I have managed to get by with burned out pixels for 8 years now with only a washer fluid and burned out bulb lights that I was able to correctly guess, but this is something different. It started coming up when I picked up my car after having tires installed and brake pads changed. Comes on every single time right after I put the car in gear.
I tried to match it up to the list on:https://12v.org/urs/UrSWarningLights1.JPG

https://i148.photobucket.com/albums/...8_/Symbols.jpg
but nothing really fits. Maybe someone had similar experience, would appreciate any insight.
Thanks!

Old 11-18-2021, 10:10 AM
1st Gear

Forgot to add, I tried to get the codes read and there aren't any codes stored.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

On a related note, has anyone sent their cluster for repair to fix burned out pixels in the last few years and can recommend a good shop? Not sure if it's worth it at this point as our cars are 20+ years old but I really like this platform and used cars are too expensive currently.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:03 PM
1st Gear

Looks like the brake pad wear symbol. If there weren’t pad sensors on the new pads then it would be an open circuit. Best way to tell is take the front wheel off and if there is an open connector, there’s your culprit. If you don’t want to bother with trying to figure it out, you can also ground the wear sensor pin leading to the cluster to permanently disable it or short the wires at the connector by your brake pads. I tried the shorting of the brake pad sensor connector but there was a break in the line further up so had to resort to the cluster mod.

For the LCD it can be done yourself if you are handy and have soldering skills. If not, Module Masters and others can do them. If you are local I could help you out as I’ve done over 5 of them and have a couple in stock but I’m in Canada.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:23 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, I think you are right! At first I thought it looks like nothing on the list of symbols but now I see the resemblance. I figured by now the B5 community got really good at deciphering what our burned out pixels are telling us.

I should have known considering I just had the pads changed. I was having the tires from Tire Rack installed at Bob Sumerel and they said the pads were worn. I normally only go to Euro shops but I thought it’s only brake pads, they can’t possibly screw it up, might just as well do it all at once. Do the sensors come with the new pads or should they have reused the old ones? I honestly don’t want to mess with it myself. Can I reasonably expect Bob Sumerel to fix it as the issue is occurring after their repair?

Previously I have sent a cluster from a Mercedes for repair to a place called BBA Remanufacturing in MA. I had no choice there as the cluster would intermittently completely go out. They fixed it for about $195 and no problem since.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

The sensors are embedded in the pads if they come with them so they either didn’t come with them or they didn’t bother hooking them up or even worse, they cut the connectors for them. Only way to find out is to take a wheel off and inspect.

Old 11-19-2021, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

Thanks a lot for your help, that gives me enough to go on. I haven't visited the forum in a while, great to know the B5 community is still going strong.