B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My very own update thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 12:16 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
Put the new one back in again and it went back up to 1100, so it's pretty clear something is up with the throttle body itself.
Bummer. The new TB was so pretty.

Is that upper coolant pipe bare metal or painted?

Old 09-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Originally Posted by bshusted
Bummer. The new TB was so pretty.

Is that upper coolant pipe bare metal or painted?
Yeah, dunno what I'm gonna do. I won't be leaving the original one on there. I'll either try to blast it or get another from the yard and see what I can do to that (hopefully without breaking it.)

Coolant pipe is bare metal right now. I left one of those coolant pipes in my garage for 6 months without it rusting. If the one on my car starts to rust I'll pull it and paint it. Until then, it matches everything else.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:18 AM
1st Gear

Ah that was your valve cover. I mistook it for the head. -___- facepalm.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kamil`
Ah that was your valve cover. I mistook it for the head. -___- facepalm.
Hehe, no worries. Valve cover has definitely come off.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:33 AM

A couple updates. I need new brakes and tires.

I will be purchasing bhusted's A8 brake upgrade kit including new rotors and TT carriers. This will upgrade the brakes from 288mm to 312mm rotors utilizing the stock caliper pushed out with the TT carriers. I haven't decided what pads to run yet.

I'll also be replacing the cracked/epoxied brake fluid reservoir that has been on the car since I bought it along with flushing the fluid. If I can afford it I will install stainless lines up front as well.

For tires I will probably be sticking with the same Falcon Ziex ZE912 225/50/R16 tires I have on the car now. I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal on a new set of wheels/tires though.

My chipped ECU will be back from repair shortly so I'll finally have some power back. I need to check the waste gate actuator's adjustment as well.

I have a new vehicle speed sensor on the way, hopefully that clears up my CEL, if not I'll start looking at the magnetic ring sensor in the tranny.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:28 PM

The gods are making it very clear that I need new tires.

Name:  file_zps2659056e.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  120.1 KB

I have to drive the car tonight so I ground down the bolt to reduce the thumping. I'll be getting four new tires and an alignment early next week.

Name:  file_zps8e4045c0.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  134.5 KB

Old 09-21-2013, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

This happened to me not long ago, why don't you remove the bolt and patch up the tire? The thumping will drive you crazy.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:01 PM
2nd Gear

^This. It's actually pretty easy to patch. Buy one of the kits at your local parts store and put a plug in it. Keep the rest of the plugs in your car for emergencies.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:43 PM

*shrug. I'll be putting new tires on in the next couple days. I don't think it's worth the time/money to patch a tire that's running on the wear indicators.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
A couple updates. I need new brakes and tires.

I will be purchasing bhusted's A8 brake upgrade kit including new rotors and TT carriers. This will upgrade the brakes from 288mm to 312mm rotors utilizing the stock caliper pushed out with the TT carriers. I haven't decided what pads to run yet.

I'll also be replacing the cracked/epoxied brake fluid reservoir that has been on the car since I bought it along with flushing the fluid. If I can afford it I will install stainless lines up front as well.

For tires I will probably be sticking with the same Falcon Ziex ZE912 225/50/R16 tires I have on the car now. I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal on a new set of wheels/tires though.

My chipped ECU will be back from repair shortly so I'll finally have some power back. I need to check the waste gate actuator's adjustment as well.

I have a new vehicle speed sensor on the way, hopefully that clears up my CEL, if not I'll start looking at the magnetic ring sensor in the tranny.
I have a set of 18" Avus reps for sale. $500 with tires. Nor-Cal.

Quick Reply: My very own update thread