B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My very own update thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 05:58 PM
3rd Gear

I'd love to see the pictures.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Originally Posted by lm0812
Wow. Its been a long long time since I updated my own update thread.

I'm currently living in Prague for a study abroad program. I've been here for about 4 months now and will be returning to San Francisco at the end of May or June. I'm studying for two semesters at the University of Economics, Prague or Vysoká Škola Ekonomická V Praze.

I still have my A4 and its being driven once a week or so by my dad. Words can't describe how much I miss driving though. This is the longest I've gone without driving since I got my license.

As far as updates to the car: I solved my boost problem first of all. When I installed my 007 DV I also installed one of the shims in it. I made the foolish mistake of installing it at the top of the DV...blocking the vacuum port and throwing me into limp mode. As soon as I moved the shim to the correct position I was back to full boost with no problems.

I did end up purchasing an ebay vagcom cable and have been using VCDS Lite. I had a misfire problem that I was able to track down to bad coil packs. I replaced all 4 coilpacks, installed a new battery, and switched to full synthetic Redline oil (can't remember the exact weight offhand.) I've started replacing all the vacuum lines as well, but still have some work to do.

In the process of changing my rear differential fluid, the fill plug stripped itself round. After ordering a new fill plug and lots of pounding, I got the old plug out and the fluid changed. The transaxle fluid was also replaced with Redline synthetic at the same time.

I modified my R8 oil cap so that it sits straight now and is no longer crooked. Just a small fix, but it was something that had always bugged me. I also trimmed the carbon fiber Carbonio intake cover so that it sits flush with the firewall (it was getting hung up on the hard fuel lines) and can actually be used. I have to mock up a new mounting solution though, right now its just zip tied in place.

No additional progress has been made on polishing the intake manifold, that will resume when I get back from europe.

Before leaving for Prague I picked up a set of S4 sway bars which proved to be a fantastic upgrade for $100. Oh! How could I forget...I got a new set of tires. I can't remember exactly what they are (its been a little while), but they are 225/55/R16 I believe.

For the interior I got my GPS hardwired in, got my new shift boot, cleaned up the wiring for my shift ****, installed and wired up the facelift vent housings, installed a 3 spoke sport steering wheel, and picked up a set of the now discontinued pedal covers with "A4" in the Audi font on them.

I think that about covers everything that has happened to the car since my last update.

I can post some pictures from Prague or my travels if anyone is interested. I spent a month by myself in January backpacking and couch surfing, heading south/east.

Prague - Munich - Innsbruck - Verona - Venice - Trieste - Rijeka - Zagreb - Plitvice - Zadar - Split - Sarajevo - Zagreb - and back to Prague.
Bump for the next page, I'll try to get some pictures up soon for you Nick.

I've got about 2 months left here in europe and I'm starting to plan my last trip. I think I'll be going to Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, maybe St. Petersburg, maybe Finland, maybe Sweden, and finishing in England or the Netherlands.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Administrator

This is the first time I've seen the pics of the red interior lights, that looks awesome. Reminds me of the bridge of a submarine like you see in the movies lol

Old 06-29-2012, 08:35 PM

Oh what a glorious day. A glorious day of driving my car for the first time after 9 months. While I was living in the Czech Republic there weren't many things I missed about the US. I did miss my car though and it feels great driving again.

While I was gone I left my car with my dad and he made sure to drive it at least once a week to keep the fluids fresh and moving. He also replaced the battery while I was gone. (He has his own 99 A4 1.8T, although bone stock.)

Today I cleaned up the engine bay, polished my carbonio intake cover, checked all the fluids and put a little more coolant in, checked tire pressures, and vacuumed the interior.

This evening I'll be detailing the interior, claying the car, and putting new wax on it.

I've still got a shadow of the "A4" from when I shaved it off, anyone got some tops on removing the shadow? Just polishing compound?

One other thing...about a year ago I had the front end rebuilt with a 12 piece Meyle kit. I didn't notice it right away, but the front end seems to sit higher now than before. At first I attributed it to the new parts needing to settle in, but the car still has some noticeable negative rake.

Could I reset the front ride height by loosening the control arm bolts while on the ground? Or any other ideas? (I could take it back to the shop and "complain" but I'd rather just try to solve the issue myself, assuming it is even solvable.)

Originally Posted by CCA4
This is the first time I've seen the pics of the red interior lights, that looks awesome. Reminds me of the bridge of a submarine like you see in the movies lol
Haha thanks. I'm due to take some new pictures with my new camera. Hopefully I can take some fresh photos this week.

Last edited by BaseDrifter; 06-29-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

Welcome back!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by vgo
Welcome back!
Thanks!

After claying the car I went with a 3 part Meguiar's liquid wax. Its a pain in the *** rubbing the entire car down 4 times including the claying but the results are worth the effort. The car looks fantastic now.

I'll start work on the interior today and maybe rip into the wiring under the drivers dash panel. Its a mess in there and I've been meaning to redo all the stereo wiring.

Bump for my questions in my last post, help me out boys!

I've still got a shadow of the "A4" from when I shaved it off, anyone got some tops on removing the shadow? Just polishing compound?

One other thing...about a year ago I had the front end rebuilt with a 12 piece Meyle kit. I didn't notice it right away, but the front end seems to sit higher now than before. At first I attributed it to the new parts needing to settle in, but the car still has some noticeable negative rake.

Could I reset the front ride height by loosening the control arm bolts while on the ground? Or any other ideas? (I could take it back to the shop and "complain" but I'd rather just try to solve the issue myself, assuming it is even solvable.)

Old 06-30-2012, 11:23 AM

If the lower control arm and strut bolts were tightened without your car supporting its own weight, then it's possible the bushings are lifting the car slightly. All you have to do is lift the car, preload the suspension (I usually put a jack underneath the spindle and lift the spindle), and then tighten the bolts/nuts.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by MetalMan
If the lower control arm and strut bolts were tightened without your car supporting its own weight, then it's possible the bushings are lifting the car slightly. All you have to do is lift the car, preload the suspension (I usually put a jack underneath the spindle and lift the spindle), and then tighten the bolts/nuts.
Thanks, I'll check that out today and see what I can do.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:52 AM

MetalMan, if I do loosen and retighten the lower control arm bolts, will I need to get the car realigned?

Old 06-30-2012, 01:28 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

I would assume you would as the camber might be a tiny bit off, but shouldnt be by much.

Quick Reply: My very own update thread