B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My TDi Wont Start....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:21 AM
1st Gear
Default My TDi Wont Start....

A4 Tdi AFN starting issues...

Hi... I wonder if I can pick the brains of the experts here as I am a little lost as to the cause of my problem....

Three days ago, I was driving my TDi along the road when the auxiliary drive belt failed, (possibly due to the Air Con Tensioner allowing movement of the a/c belt which failed then shredded the main drive belt... alternator, water pump etc... NOT THE CAM BELT)

The engine continued to run albeit with vastly reduced power. Got to the hard shoulder with the engine still running but with the alternator charge light illuminated, as expected... Went to move forward a little to get off the road but the engine stalled and would not re start. Was running sweetly up until this point with no nasty noises.

Had a look under the bonnet and could see that the shredded belt, (now wrapped around the crankshaft pulley) has torn out some wiring from the front of the car, the green and yellow A/C wire and a four wire loom which runs from somewhere near the Mass flow meter across the front of the engine bay and enters a large red round connector plug, located next to the power steering fluid reservoir. It had also detached one of the vacuum hoses, connected to a small valve, located above the air con compressor, (this valve? looks like a window washer pump but has three air outlet/inlet pipes, made by piershrader? and a two wire connector block with 12v and 6v on these wires/terminals respectively. Have been told this might be a N75 valve what ever one of those is) the pipes route up to another valve along side the turbo unit and up to the air-box I seem to remember....

All the wires were replaced in the correct combination, ie brown/white to brown/white etc, the green and yellow wire replaced and the disconnected pipe reconnected, inspected all fuses I could find, in the fuse box on the right dash end and under the bonnet also on the drivers side and they are all fine. A new alternator drive belt was fitted, battery charged (due to the vehicle being recovered to home with the hazards going)....

Turned engine over, which it does freely but fails to fire up.

Does any one know a likely cause or where I should start looking. I do not have access to a code reader.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh and I don't want to sell the car.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

Not too many B5 TDI owners here. (I wish I could get a TDI here) Might want to find a TDI forum to find a few more experts there.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:07 AM
Tech Guru

You might need to get a VAGCOM device and reset the computer or at the very least scan it for codes and go from there.