B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Is this my radio code?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Is this my radio code?

So, I just got the A4 back from getting the new engine put in but the radio is in "SAFE" mode. I was looking through my owners manual and on the back of the manual is handwritten 2 different 4 digit numbers and then something about pressing the AM and RDS buttons. Weird thing is that one of the 4 digit #'s has a 0 in it, so I don't know how you'd enter the # anyway since there is no "0" on the radio! I have the Concert radio in my A4.

I searched about the radio code in the forums and it sounds as if the only way I found to get the code is to remove the radio and get the serial # along with my VIN # to get the code from the dealer. Since I don't have the radio removal tools, this would be a big PITA for me. If these #'s written on the back of my manual aren't it, is there another way to get the damn code?

Last edited by BT5150; 06-14-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear

They probably are the correct numbers. To enter the code, you use the preset buttons numbered 1 through 4 to cycle through the 0-9 digits.

For the first number in the code you should press preset button #1 multiple times until you reach the desired number. For the second number in the code, press preset button #2 until you reach the desired number. Etc...

For removing the radio:

I have the preface lift model with the smaller radio. I don't have removal tools but found a very narrow tweezer like piece of metal that fits. Slide something that won't break into the slot at a diagonal towards the center of the radio. About an inch or less inside are springs. You have to compress them by pushing them away from the center of the radio. You should be able to feel the spring push back on whatever you're using. Once compressed, pull the radio towards you.

This works for me and I do one side at a time. $30+ for a tool is a little overkill

Last edited by Skythe; 06-14-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

Is there any certain way to enter the numbers? When I turn my car on, (its a 99.5 A4 with the Concert radio) first it says "Bose" like normal, then "SAFE". I tried pressing the "1" button repeatedly as well as holding it down to see if something changed on the display, but it just keeps saying "SAFE". I also tried pressing the "AM" and "RDS" buttons as well, just because where they hand wrote the 2 4-digit #'s, they also wrote something about pressing the AM + RDS buttons. I tried pressing AM + RDS as well as holding them down and then pressing the 1 button but again, nothing. It just keeps saying "SAFE". Is there some certain way to enter the numbers or some other button you have to press first?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 PM
2nd Gear

For my 99.0 I hold AM+ RDS (I think, it's been a while) until SAFE goes away. It takes a couple of seconds, but the numbers show up, then let go. Enter the code and hold AM + RDS until the radio turns on. The facelift may be different...

Anyone with the facelift radio have ideas?

Old 06-15-2010, 12:46 AM
5th Gear

If you want to check the numbers in your manual against something you could look in the spare wheel well for a sticker which will have a four-digit radio number on it. That's how I found mine when I had to reset my radio. Mine was facelift but it was also Symphony and not Concert, so who the hell knows.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:30 PM
1st Gear

This is starting to get very frustrating! I looked in the spare tire well and yes there is a id sticker there, but it didn't seem to have anything about the radio or any obvious 4 digit codes. I've tried pressing AM + RDS buttons as well as holding them down for a real long time to see if the "SAFE" went away or blinked or something and nothing seems to happen, it just stays on safe. Any other ideas? Driving w/out a radio really sucks!

Old 06-15-2010, 05:29 PM
2nd Gear

Check out the anti-theft guide on this page for your model

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/radios.html

Old 06-15-2010, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

Well, I found a website that has the info for programming the code into the radio

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/concert.html

Turns out its the FM2 + RDS buttons to get into the programming mode. Problem for me is that the 2 4 digit codes listed on the back of my manual don't seem to work, it stays in SAFE mode! Guess I'll be taking out the damn radio to get the damn serial #!