B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My newest mod is in - LED running lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:24 AM
5th Gear

i forgot it at your house? oops lol. i thought i took it home lol. o well it's safe at least. i must have forgotten it because there was about 6inches of snow outside. and ya the heater barely does anything but when you get close enough to it, it's warm.
nic, jeremy has those lights hooked up too. if he can't see the road, he'll need some nightvision goggles

Old 01-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Administrator

That looks good man. I was thinkin about what that would look like last night. I still haven't decided what I'm gonna do for fog lights when I upgrade to 1-piece headlights. I think the cool thing about LED's is how stupidly bright they are w/o sucking a lot of power in the process. Looks good, keep it up!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Yeah they're very bright looking at them but I don't really know how far they'll project. Had a couple friends over last night so I didn't drive anywhere with them on to see if they make a difference or not - I mainly did it as a running light for the look. Surprisingly, they're very visible during the day as a running light as well, and on a run to get the newspaper this morning it was funny to watch the drivers of passing cars looking at them and a couple even pointing lol. Didn't think it'd make that much of a splash

As for wiring them to the city light trigger, I wouldn't do it (that's personal opinion) - I have city lights in my Depos, with bulbs in them, but the way everything in the Depos is wired, they only turn on when the fogs are turned on. I took a look at it that way and it looks ridiculous, with low beam HIDs, fog lights, LEDs, and city lights all on at once - it looks like a friggin carnival - completely ridiculous. If you took the bulbs out of your foglights and triggered them that way, it'd look good, but with fogs plus LEDs and low beams, and the city bulbs on as well, it's WAY too busy-looking. I will try and post a pic of that later. As it is, if I use the fogs, I'll turn off the LEDs, and I'm going to remove the city bulbs as well (I just think it looks weird with this little halogen bulb on next to the HIDs).

The other change I may make later on is to wire a normally closed relay into each LED trigger wire, with the switch leg of the relay connected to the foglight trigger wire. That way the LEDs would run, but if I turn on the fogs, it'll open the relay and turn off the LEDs. Very easy to do and it'd eliminate having to hit more switches.

Hiwords, yeah it's still in there, and I was glad for it since the propane heater tank is empty. It kept things bearable out there since I was basically laying on the floor in front of it. Thanks man

Last edited by ImTheDevil; 01-25-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:29 PM
2nd Gear

Very sharp bro! I just picked up some lights similar to those but I don't have the luxuries of a large, heated garage to install them in and it's been raining here the last 3 or 4 days so I haven't had much chance to put them on. Hopefully this coming weekend will clear up long enough for me to dink with it and I can post up my finished results as well.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Administrator

All I had to do to run the wiring was drop the undershroud off the engine and then thread the wires through. I put a coat hanger down from the top, taped the wiring to it, and pulled it up that way. I ran it along each side of the engine bay, tucked it under the weatherstripping that divides the engine bay from the battery compartment, and then ran it through the opening in the ECU box to get it into the car.

Won't take much time really and you'll love it

Old 01-25-2009, 05:17 PM
2nd Gear

Fantastic! Thanks, that's just the info I was looking for. I wasn't sure how to go about running the wires through the firewall but that sounds like a pretty simple way to do it. I'm excited to get it done now

Old 01-25-2009, 05:20 PM
4th Gear

Those look great!

where'd you get the LED strips? didn't somebody on here use some from IKEA?

Old 01-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Administrator

^ There was a link in the first post:

http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/led/LE5017.htm

Old 01-25-2009, 06:09 PM

looks good, i was thinkin of doin the footwells inside when you open the doors, those would be perfect for that.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Yep, I'll be doing that as well (probably going to convert all the lights that I can to LED - it's just a much cleaner look). Mr Flippant, the IKEA lights were also used (I can't remember who it was that used them though - his screenname escapes me right now). The Bishop also has LED running lights and his might be from there, I don't know for sure. You could PM him and see if he used those as well though. The disadvantage to those lights is that they cost around $50 or so, whereas these were $16 shipped.

Quick Reply: My newest mod is in - LED running lights