B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

is my motor savable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:24 PM
1st Gear
Default is my motor savable?

im going to give the best description i can leading up to what happened and what exactly happened. thanks for the read and help in advance.

my car sat for about 3 months with a ecm fuse really over heating i got that fixed and reregistered the car about a week ago. i drove this back adn fourth to work for a total of one day. babied it the whole way. ran fine boosted fine and all that good stuff. the next day i have jury duty i leave for that and its all good on my way home about 4 blocks from my house the red lcd panel flashes my oil light and the motor sounded bad but not load just a constant non lubricaited sound. i check my oil light seems to be right so i figured maybe it was just low and it was off reading because i didnt let it settle. i walk to my house grab a bottle of 00-40 synthetic. i put it in an the noise goes away. i drive it home and park. roughly 2 hours later i check the oil its a little bit over i figure no biggie it all checks out sounds great revs fine. i get to about the same spot and i hear the alert and light comes back on. i pull over to see whats up i open my oil cap. its litterally spitting oil at me and burning my face. i had it towed from there no more then 1 minute it ran with the sound combined. no leaks.

what the hell happened? is it fixable? will my motor need to be replaced?

01 a4
1.8t
5 speed quattro

Old 07-14-2012, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

noone knows what could be wrong or anything? im sure im not the only one whos had this happen

Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

without looking at the internals, which is going to require a minimum of tearing down the top end of the motor there is no way to know the extent of the damage, if any. Since you stated that you had a "constant non-lubricated sound", I can only assume that there is indeed some damage.

my initial thought is that you have the "sludge" issue. do a search on the forums and you will find several much better descriptions of the problem than I can provide here given limited time and space.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:41 PM
1st Gear

the sound went away wen i added oil. for about 2 minutes then came back and i had it towed car didnt go more then 5 minutes total and the sound was very low but i could tell it wasnt good. im looking into a new motor but im not sure how all the engine codes work like awm and such. do u know anything about that?

Old 07-15-2012, 12:38 AM
1st Gear

an awm engine code if for a 01 A4. If your getting a whole new motor though, you could swap any AEB, ATW, or AWM in, as long as you have the ecu to go with it. Someone can correct me if im wrong tho....

Old 07-15-2012, 06:09 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

it is probably a little early to make the decision to replace the motor. you should probably see what is going on with your current motor first. it may be way cheaper to fix what is wrong with the one you have, than it will be to do a swap.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:53 AM

pull the head, something in the oil system sounds like its clogged. Also sounds like you dumped to much oil in. You won't know anything until you atkeast get the head off. Do you smell burning oil at all?

Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by 1.8_Turbo
an awm engine code if for a 01 A4. If your getting a whole new motor though, you could swap any AEB, ATW, or AWM in, as long as you have the ecu to go with it. Someone can correct me if im wrong tho....
Wrong.

But i would pull the valve cover off to see how much sludge the engine may or may not have. Then if its not too bad you might try a full seafoam treatment and then an oil pressure test and compression test. But you may need to pull the oil pan and clean the pickup tube real good and any other sludged up spots.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys i pulled the valve cover and took a cam cap off no marks and the head itself looks great. Im thinkin my pick up tube is clogged or my oil pump broke? I turned it on today ran fine i put it in my garage im ripping it all apart now. My mechanic in the family is tellin me to do a seafoam treatment as well. Im nerveous becuz i dont want to let it run......what to do?

Old 07-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Legal Moderator

The oil light on? If the pump broke it would run and quit and not run well again. Can you post pics of the head with the valve cover off? If it's really sludged we could assume that is a leading factor.

Quick Reply: is my motor savable?