B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My Faded Mirror Replacement Reccomendation-- Two new mirrors for 43 bux

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 03:26 PM
2nd Gear

Not the best pics, sorry I dont wanna pop them off and risk damaging them but heres what the fronts look like (just went through some really heavy rain and then a car wash this morning and still lookin good).

Attached Thumbnails My Faded Mirror Replacement Reccomendation-- Two new mirrors for 43 bux-dsc_0003.jpg   My Faded Mirror Replacement Reccomendation-- Two new mirrors for 43 bux-dsc_0006.jpg  
Old 07-24-2011, 08:30 PM
3rd Gear

Well **** that looks pretty good. I hope to get mine soon. I can't wait to see how close the blue tinted glass will look like compared to my stock anti-dazzles.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:31 PM
2nd Gear

Just got mine in this morning and installed them, everything's good except for the heating element. The connectors are smaller and in a different spot so I had to extend the wires a bit and solder on different connectors, not bad but just annoying. If you're reusing the stock backplate (wouldn't recommend it) you're going to have to trim it around the heater element connections a bit.

I got blue ones and they're definitely more blue than stock mirrors. Also, the heating elements are just universal things stuck on the back of the mirror so they don't cover everything, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Took just over 2 weeks to get here, pretty average.

Last edited by Mad Cow; 07-26-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:05 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
Just got mine in this morning and installed them, everything's good except for the heating element. The connectors are smaller and in a different spot so I had to extend the wires a bit and solder on different connectors, not bad but just annoying. If you're reusing the stock backplate (wouldn't recommend it) you're going to have to trim it around the heater element connections a bit.

I got blue ones and they're definitely more blue than stock mirrors. Also, the heating elements are just universal things stuck on the back of the mirror so they don't cover everything, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Took just over 2 weeks to get here, pretty average.
Good to know. Is there any chance you could post a photo of the blue tint mirror? Does it look to gaudy or obvious? If it looks like ****, I might consider just swapping with regular glass.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:19 PM
2nd Gear

I'll get some pics later today, car's in the garage right now and the camera flash makes everything look terrible. It's not too blue, it's about the same shade as OEM blue glass on newer cars.

Here's the driver's side, passenger side looks the same:
Name:  CPBzg.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  39.7 KB

Weird thing I just noticed is with the passenger mirror all the way to the right i can still see part of the car, probably something to do with the stock mirror being convex.

Last edited by Mad Cow; 07-26-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:38 PM
3rd Gear

That looks close enough......almost exactly what is on my car right now. I'm glad I took the chance now. Thanks for posting the photo.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:22 PM
2nd Gear

Hm interesting, I wonder if the blue tinted mirrors have the heating element plugs in a different location, mine were in the exact location the old ones were with the exact same size prongs to connect the wires.

Mad Cow: It looks like you have the vertical line mirrors, how do you like that?

If you ended up getting a vertical line mirror for the passenger as well thats why you can see some of the car, the part outside the vertical lane is convex (not 1:1), while the part inside the vertical line is not (1:1). As far as I know the vertical line mirrors are for the side the driver is on, and a full convex mirror for the passenger, but Im not sure.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:45 PM
2nd Gear

They take some time to get used to, I nearly cut someone off yesterday because I change lanes when I can see 2 headlights in the corner of my mirror and with these mirrors the car was nearly beside me when I saw that. But I have pretty much no blind spot on the driver's side now, which is good.

I'm pretty sure I saw sets of vertical line mirrors on ECS, that's why i bought 2. Plus it's not so bad, with some fiddling I got it nearly exactly where I want, it's at the very end of its travel but it's just out far enough.

I also compared them to my stock mirror and they're just ac blue actually, before I compared them to my driver's mirror which was aftermarket and not as blue.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:51 PM
2nd Gear

Gotchya, yeah I was going to get at least one side with the vertical line, but they didnt seem to list it for the pre 99, only post and up. Seemed that way for a lot of places, I always thought the mirror shape was the same but there must be some kind of difference...

(Post 1000!)

Old 07-27-2011, 10:50 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dallas09
Gotchya, yeah I was going to get at least one side with the vertical line, but they didnt seem to list it for the pre 99, only post and up. Seemed that way for a lot of places, I always thought the mirror shape was the same but there must be some kind of difference...

(Post 1000!)
Could you take a picture of your driver's side mirror? My car came with it replaced but it's the wrong shape so I was thinking it's a pre-facelift mirror.

Quick Reply: My Faded Mirror Replacement Reccomendation-- Two new mirrors for 43 bux