B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My Faded Mirror Replacement Reccomendation-- Two new mirrors for 43 bux

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 03:30 PM
2nd Gear
Thumbs up My Faded Mirror Replacement Reccomendation-- Two new mirrors for 43 bux

Hey everybody,

Just thought Id share where I found replacement mirrors for the cheapest price. I began looking at ECS and a couple other places for mirrors, and from what I could tell the absolute cheapest I could find new mirrors was for at least 60 bux a pop. I considered buying some used mirrors but literally every Audi Ive ever seen has the mirror problem of them turning brown, and my used Audi parts place wanted like 45 or 50 bux for some used mirrors, which IMO were probably going to turn burn relatively soon.

I ended up checking ebay, but not the US ebay, ebay.co.uk. I found a retailer called worldcarmirrors, which sells mirrors for many different models. For my pre '99 they had many different variations of mirrors: heated, not heated, tinted, not tinted, and aspherical for both sides (remember if you order, you have to specify the country your car is in). For post '99 they also have the vertical line blind spot option, and there aspherical mirrors do not say "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear". You can also order new mounting plates, which I recommend, theres no way I would have been able to use my old ones. I paid about 27 GBP which is about 43 USD for BOTH mirrors. Also, the seller communicated well, I ordered two mirrors, I accidentally ordered one tinted and one clear mirror, they emailed me to see if I actually meant to do that and they credited me back on one of the shipping charges for one item since they shipped them together.

So far so good with these mirrors, they arrived fairly quickly, they have Passat written on the back of them, glass seems to be good quality, and both heating elements (i ordered heated) work. Ive ran the car through the car wash once and they still look great.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:25 PM
3rd Gear

This is awesome....I am going to check them out tonight.

*edit* I just visited their ebay store. Is there any way you could post up some photos of the ones you received?

Last edited by ObnoxiousDrunk; 07-19-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah def, I will get them up this weekend. Our dewpoint here in MN is like 83 and the temp is in the 90s, so as soon as I took the camera outside to try to take a pic now the lens fogged up and it doesnt even last long enough if I wipe it off to focus (its a living hell). Im not gonna pop them out, Ill take a pic of the front though, as far as a better description: the backs of the mirrors looked exactly the same as the old ones, heating element was visible (heating element connection is exactly the same as the old mirrors in the same location), the only difference is that the new one had passat engraved on the back and the "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" is removed. The bracket is the same as the original except it doesnt have the surrounding squared surface, only the circular part (if you take your mirror off youll see what I mean), the new bracket is more flexible (the old one seemed like it wore and became brittle, it cracked when I tried to detach the old bracket from the old glass). The mirror attaches to the bracket with double back tape and it seemed to adhere very well, you could attach it to the bracket with whatever you want however. One final difference with mine is that I got the clear mirrors, not the blue tinted ones, so I cant speak for how the blue looks, or the vertical line mirrors.

The mirror is a little difficult to align perfectly to the bracket (and thus the housing), at least with the method i used (putting the bracket in the mirror housing first, then attaching the glass), so mine appear to be just a slight bit crooked if you look closely. Since the glass is recessed in the housing it makes it a little difficult to stick it down perfectly.

I closely inspected the front of the mirror, no nicks, or concave/convex imperfections, passenger side is convex as a whole, everything is def smaller. Both heating elements work, on a cool day both mirrors were warm to the touch (which brings up a question of what controls that?).

Based on the pictures and page layout of their ebay store, I thought for sure these would appear to be built way different, I was afraid they would be flimsy reflective sheets that you put over your old mirror or something but they are definitively much better, at least for now anyway.

Last edited by Dallas09; 07-19-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:24 PM
2nd Gear

Just bought a pair of blue heated vertical line mirrors, you saved me so much money.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:45 PM
3rd Gear

are the vertical line mirrors the blind spot ones? I'm going to order a set to finally replace my stained and cracked ones... vertical line or convex?

worldcarmirrors items - Get great deals on DIRECT REPLACEMENTS, BMW items on eBay Stores!

Old 07-19-2011, 06:09 PM
2nd Gear

I think for a US car the driver should be vertical line and the passenger should be convex but Im not positive.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:50 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Dallas09
Based on the pictures and page layout of their ebay store, I thought for sure these would appear to be built way different, I was afraid they would be flimsy reflective sheets that you put over your old mirror or something but they are definitively much better, at least for now anyway.
This is what I was concerned about. I guess $50 or so bucks is enough to give it a shot even if they do suck. Looks like I'll get around to finally replacing my "burnt glass".

I'm gonna try the blue tinted version out just for giggles and *****.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:42 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah Ill post a picture when I can, anyone thats skeptical take a look at their rating, pretty solid (although I feel those ratings dont tell much about the long term).

Old 07-20-2011, 04:16 PM
3rd Gear

I ordered mine last night......how long does it take to receive from across the pond?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:40 PM
2nd Gear

If I remember right only a couple weeks, def not as long as I expected.

Quick Reply: My Faded Mirror Replacement Reccomendation-- Two new mirrors for 43 bux