B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Is my clutch bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Is my clutch bad?

I have a 98 A4 Quattro. The shift stick is not as percise as I want it to be. I am a little worried because I think that it should be replaced soon. Although it's a little tricky to drive, I'm fine with it, as long as it does not cause more serious damage. How can I tell if my clutch is bad.

Current symptoms:
- Car shifts better with more gas. Everybody thinks I drive like a maniac- car will stutter, shake, when shifting with little pressure on the gas pedal - Gears engage a little higher- Gears will engage with clutch let out at different levels. Some a little higher, some a little lower. The rear seems to be the worst
of all because it engages the highest.
- The car will clunk, mostly in the rear when not shifting carefully - When shifting too fast car will lunge forward, when too slow, it will make a noise (clunk) - I have been driving stick for 8 years.

Is there a way that I can be certain whether or not my clutch/trasmission is ready to go?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Is my clutch bad?

I'd bleed the clutch first and see if you have any air in the lines - that could cause some of your car's screwy shifting behavior.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Site Moderator

Clunking is bad and everything you describe will get worse in when the weather gets cold. Check yourtranny gear fluid/differential fluid levels/seals, and just be prepared to replace your clutch soon if you don't know if/when it was last. You clutch could be glazed which would cause it not to engage smoothly or it could be much more serious. I hate to say it but because it sounds like a combination of things Id go to the dealer at least for the diagnosis.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:28 AM
5th Gear

i think it's mostly your driving lol. if i left my clutch out too fast, it'll clunk, when i put it in reverse, it clunks. the clutch is supposed to engage high though. do you have to push your shifter down to put into reverse? i noticed on jeremy's taht his didn't clunk when i put it in reverse while pushing down. on mine, i don't need to push down but it clunks a bit and sometimes i have to try a few times to put it in gear.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:38 PM

If it clunks just when going thru the gears, it could be shift linkages as well. If it clunks while in gear and on or off the gas, it's most likely motor mounts and possibly tranny mounts.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

Thank you all for your feedback. I will see what I can do with the fluid. I may get it diagnosed by the dealer if condition worsens.

HIWORDS

It seems like you are having the same problem as I am. How long have you been driving like this. I have been driving like this for about a year. And I think it's getting a little worse. It seems like I have to be really careful when it comes to engaging the gears. I cant drop it at 50 mph into 3rd without a thump.

It's more of a thump than a clunk. I do have to push my shifter down to engage in rear. I think that's the only way it will engage. The thump seems to be comming from the rear. Although, it was reacting acceptably today, I only got like two thumps.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:42 PM
5th Gear

i've been driving it like that since a year ago too. it's not really a problem, i think that's how the tranny is supposed to be. the 4wd system has a lot of loose parts plus my tranny mounts are original and i have 117k on the clock. i don't really get a clunk when i down shift though. mine has stayed the same since i got the car a year ago. try double clutching and shift while letting go of the clutch. i usually shift while letting go of the clutch because it's a much smoother action, plus i don't get as much clunking because the rev matches perfectly by the time the clutch engages when i shift. and ya the sound sort of comes from the rear. there's a mod you can do to the tranny mounts to make them stiff and it'll help with the loose drivetrain a bit. a drivetrain stabilizer bar will help too.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:33 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: AudimaniaA4

I have a 98 A4 Quattro. The shift stick is not as percise as I want it to be. I am a little worried because I think that it should be replaced soon. Although it's a little tricky to drive, I'm fine with it, as long as it does not cause more serious damage. How can I tell if my clutch is bad.

Current symptoms:
- Car shifts better with more gas. Everybody thinks I drive like a maniac- car will stutter, shake, when shifting with little pressure on the gas pedal - Gears engage a little higher- Gears will engage with clutch let out at different levels. Some a little higher, some a little lower. The rear seems to be the worst
of all because it engages the highest.
- The car will clunk, mostly in the rear when not shifting carefully - When shifting too fast car will lunge forward, when too slow, it will make a noise (clunk) - I have been driving stick for 8 years.

Is there a way that I can be certain whether or not my clutch/trasmission is ready to go?
Sounds like a B5...