B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Is my car done for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Is my car done for?

I have a 1998 Audi a4 1.8t FWD Auto withj 86,089miles
------
"
--Needs Flange, Seals, Temp sensor and sensor clip
--Because of Mixed coolant , Also needs new coolant expansion tank, New G12 Coolant and Coolant flush
--Major oil leaks also, from oil filter, valve cover gasket/Cam ADJ. seal, and oil pan-
--Needs valve cover gasket, Cam adjuster Seal, oil Pan Seal, Oil sevice PCV system Update - Connections Pipe Split open, Needs PCV Breather Hoses and Valves
Power Steer Leak-
--Needs Tierods Both have play
--Upper suspension Links have play
--Engine Mounts leak purple hydro. oil and have lateral movement
--rear wheel bearings have play Need new brarings, races, grase and grease seals.
"

The guy also addedI had coolant migration comming from my Temp sensor and it had coroded the wiring harness and ecm and most likely going into the instrument panel.

I had my car for two years.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:47 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Is my car done for?

Oh man, this is the dark times in the case of audis..

Old 04-04-2008, 03:58 PM
1st Gear

its going to be a lot of little things you can do ALOT of that yourself and save alot of money..get a 2nd opinion too

Old 04-04-2008, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

They said it would be a $5000+ job or something.
They said it not worth repair and should just junk it

Old 04-04-2008, 07:09 PM

I was gunna say that you should build yourself a 2 liter monster....but then i realized that you are FWD and Auto....

I would honestly scrap yo bitch and find yourself an audi w/ a 5/6 speed and quattro....

good luck bro, I had to make the same decision last month....I ended up dumping 4k into my car....if I was fwd or auto i woulda scrapped it tho...

sorry to hear about the sh!tty luck

on the bright side you could prolly make a couple grand at the least parting it out...there are a few peeps on here who made 3-4k parting out their A4's....

Old 04-05-2008, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

I was in your exact situtation primo, I had a leak everywhere, I mean everything under the hood that could leak did....I also needed a new trans and a new rack and pinion..... I was told my best bet was to junk it and just suck it up as a loss... After a month of debating I decided to sell the car... I had it on ebay and a guy was gonna give me 4000 for it. I was naturally gonna take the deal because at that point I would have taken any amount of money, the guy never came through with teh money and it is a good thing becuase I found a place quite a distnace from my house that was willing to do the work cheaper. So I took it to them and they fixed it....Moral of the story, I fixed my baby and am happy again....

If I were u I would do what u r capable of yourself and then find the cheapest price u can about getting the rest fixed....Trust me it will be worth it....

Old 04-05-2008, 01:39 AM
1st Gear

yeah at this point with my car i figure ive rebuilt it new trans gonna have new motor new turbo exhaust and im sure other stuff its brand new ha

Old 04-05-2008, 08:59 AM
1st Gear

And has anyone heard of Coolant migration? And if my ecu is really damaged??

Old 04-05-2008, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

where are you from? if you live in florida or close to it you should bring your car to Melbourne Motorsports. hes cheap and an awesome mechanic, audi certified and all that crap...totally worth the drive for you. when i was there some dude drove his A6 from Jacksonville (which is about 6 hours) with a bad tranny (stuck in 3rd gear all the way) just to have it rebuilt at this shop....the guy is legit.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

nah im up here by DC / northern va