B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My B5's rpm's drop really low after braking!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:53 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Must be nice that yours corrects that quickly. Every time I've had my battery disconnected, I do a TBA afterward and it still takes a week before it's back to normal. To my knowledge, my car is the only one that does take that long - no one else that I know needs nearly as much relearn time.
my car takes about a week for a cel to come back after i clear it.

and last time my car was loosing rpm when stopping, my intake hose was disconnected from the airbox. check all your hoses incase u were under the hood recently. and yea do a throttle body alignment. just turn the key till all dash lights come on and the radio and stuff works. DONT START THE CAR. and dont touch the pedals for about 3-5 min. then start it up and go for a drive

Old 01-03-2009, 10:16 PM

try scanning for any possible codes, mine is doing the exact same thing,scanned it and the result was a bad thermostat, getting it changed out asap, check that out, you never know.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by djblaize
try scanning for any possible codes, mine is doing the exact same thing,scanned it and the result was a bad thermostat, getting it changed out asap, check that out, you never know.
Heh, no kidding - guess I never thought of that being a possibility. My t-stat IS stuck partially open, and has been for a decent amount of time (new one is on order now along with G12, etc). Interesting. I don't have a CEL but that doesn't mean anything.

Now you've got my curiosity piqued - looking forward to seeing if the R&R of the t-stat does anything for how quickly it relearns everything. Not sure why it would but I'm willing to pay attention when I do my latest combi switch swapout shortly afterward.

And yeah, I always do the TBA after a battery disconnect - still takes a week or so to get the thing to stop acting like it has Down's syndrome.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:30 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah I would doubt a thermostat would help they arent really related.. but maybe it did for you. Next thing id do is check for vac leaks and stuff... although Vac leaks should throw a code and so should a stuck or screwed up throttle body (which is the other possibility). You could try TB cleaner.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Yep - did all of that (although the vac leak check was more cursory than thorough). Right now though, it's just not the weather for doing that and I don't feel like hauling all the patio chairs out of the garage to look around under the hood right now. Soon though

Old 01-04-2009, 09:19 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Tasteofblood
ok so i left the key in the on position for about 5 minutes. Its still doing it so no results yet. I hope that it starts behaving normally again. Could this possible be another issue?
Put the key in the on position and leave it for 30 seconds without touching the gas. Turn it off and then start the car.

Other possible issues are vacuum leaks or even a failing MAF.